"unforgettable Pork Ribs"

Hosea
Posted
Posted

After arriving here in the Philippines it was quickly evident to me that food was going to be a bigger deal to me than I though it would be. I can't help it, I am really picky when it comes to what I can and will eat. I have heard so many people say how much they love Filipino food. Well, guess I am the odd one out cause I haven't found much here in the Philippines I can eat without getting sick. After meeting with my doctor here for the fist time, his first question was are you eating native foods. I was at first afraid I was going to insult him but his response to my quick answer of NO! was interesting. He said "good" cause the food here is not good for your health. Then his attention moved to my wife. I couldn't understand everything he was saying (he wasn't speaking English) but he was telling my wife what I should and shouldn't eat and why. One of the things I have found is more important to me than I thought is raw veggies. It's interesting what you don't know you need until you don't have it and can't get it. Problem is with all the fruits and vegetables in the market it seems to be only a few I want to eat or can eat without gagging. Can't find lettuce in where we live and I am afraid to eat raw spinach. All is not bleak though. I am finding my way. One way is to find good places to eat out. Good to me is food I can eat anytime. I don't have to be in the mood for it or wonder if it's going to be good today or this time of day. So far I have only found a few places that meet my standards of what I call good food. I have listed two in the past and after searching online for new things to do and new places to go here in Davao, I found this cute little bakery that sells hearty meals as well as some pretty good sweets to. The setting is kind of nice. For a split second I felt like I was off the beaten path in a beach town in Orange county California. To be safe I decided to try the "Unforgettable Pork Ribs" first. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised by the freshness of the ribs and rice. It wasn't US BBQ but very nice for here. The price was fare but the portions were small so I ordered another plate of the ribs. We also tried two slices of cake. The carrot cake wasn't all that good but the other cake (can't remember what it was but) was pretty good. It had some kind of light custard on the top with whip cream in the middle. The cake wasn't cheap but the meal made up for that. Once you find a cake you like it is probably better to buy the whole cake then to get just a slice. Sorry I went on a bit here but I was so impress by Lachi's we decided to checked out the other stores next door to. They all looked worthy of a try. Even met a very nice young lady that once worked near where we came from in California. There was even a breakfast shop nestled in this small strip of stores. We enjoyed Lachi's so much we went back this past Sunday evening. I don't suggest going there then. Only the coffee shop was open (unless coffee is what you want).Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.Lachi's Sans Rival atbp.Door 1-H VAL Learning Village,Ruby Street, Marfori Heights,Davao City

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
After arriving here in the Philippines it was quickly evident to me that food was going to be a bigger deal to me than I though it would be. I can't help it, I am really picky when it comes to what I can and will eat. I have heard so many people say how much they love Filipino food. Well, guess I am the odd one out cause I haven't found much here in the Philippines I can eat without getting sick. After meeting with my doctor here for the fist time, his first question was are you eating native foods. I was at first afraid I was going to insult him but his response to my quick answer of NO! was interesting. He said "good" cause the food here is not good for your health. Then his attention moved to my wife. I couldn't understand everything he was saying (he wasn't speaking English) but he was telling my wife what I should and shouldn't eat and why. One of the things I have found is more important to me than I thought is raw veggies. It's interesting what you don't know you need until you don't have it and can't get it. Problem is with all the fruits and vegetables in the market it seems to be only a few I want to eat or can eat without gagging. Can't find lettuce in where we live and I am afraid to eat raw spinach. All is not bleak though. I am finding my way. One way is to find good places to eat out. Good to me is food I can eat anytime. I don't have to be in the mood for it or wonder if it's going to be good today or this time of day. So far I have only found a few places that meet my standards of what I call good food. I have listed two in the past and after searching online for new things to do and new places to go here in Davao, I found this cute little bakery that sells hearty meals as well as some pretty good sweets to. The setting is kind of nice. For a split second I felt like I was off the beaten path in a beach town in Orange county California. To be safe I decided to try the "Unforgettable Pork Ribs" first. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised by the freshness of the ribs and rice. It wasn't US BBQ but very nice for here. The price was fare but the portions were small so I ordered another plate of the ribs. We also tried two slices of cake. The carrot cake wasn't all that good but the other cake (can't remember what it was but) was pretty good. It had some kind of light custard on the top with whip cream in the middle. The cake wasn't cheap but the meal made up for that. Once you find a cake you like it is probably better to buy the whole cake then to get just a slice. Sorry I went on a bit here but I was so impress by Lachi's we decided to checked out the other stores next door to. They all looked worthy of a try. Even met a very nice young lady that once worked near where we came from in California. There was even a breakfast shop nestled in this small strip of stores. We enjoyed Lachi's so much we went back this past Sunday evening. I don't suggest going there then. Only the coffee shop was open (unless coffee is what you want).Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.Lachi's Sans Rival atbp.Door 1-H VAL Learning Village,Ruby Street, Marfori Heights,Davao City
Just to quote your statement about small portions,I usually find myself always hungry while in the Philippines,now I'm a big bloke but not really a big eater but still tend to be hungry most of the time.Maybe I should not drink so much beer while I'm there,maybe thats it.

• 1 month later...
Hosea
Posted
Posted

I know what you are saying Boss man. I am always thinking about what I'm going to eat next and is it going to be worth eating. After going to Lachi's a few times now, I think I have had my fill of this place. As far as the meals go. I think the fact there are no veggies just doesn't do it for me. I may go back just for sweets.

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
After meeting with my doctor here for the fist time, his first question was are you eating native foods. I was at first afraid I was going to insult him but his response to my quick answer of NO! was interesting. He said "good" cause the food here is not good for your health. Then his attention moved to my wife. I couldn't understand everything he was saying (he wasn't speaking English) but he was telling my wife what I should and shouldn't eat and why.
It would be great to get the feedback on what your doctor recommended you avoid and why. Maybe you can get your wife to help share what your doctor described. I think it is possible to eat healthy food here with native food. There are many varieties of fish, wonderful fruits and unique vegetables like Malunggay and Ube that have been found to be of the highest nutritional value in the world. If cooked in the right way, you can have a very healthy meal. At the same time there are classic Filipino dishes which are high in fat and like in US Southern cooking sometimes pork is added to vegetables, soups, and other dishes. I'm disappointed to find pork liver, and other meat in chop suey at most restaurants. Thanks