Ems was hit by a car tyesterday

RBM
Posted
Posted

I agree with all the above comments, guess most of us could write a book on traffic experiences.

One comment wish to make, we always give way to pedestrians at crossings, often suffering the honking of horns behind us. Plus when people with a disability of elderly trying to cross we stop. 

Sadly its totally unheard of to ever get a nod or wave of appreciation. This does not stop us but makes us wonder.........

• Like 4

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Wherever we drive, Mrs Boggs is sitting beside me in the passenger seat watching and advising.  At first it was annoying, but we have had enough close calls that now I am very thankful for the extra set of eyes.  "Motorcycle on the right", "People crossing", "Taxi stopping", her little interjections have almost gotten comical.  I've learned as a driver you cannot count on any rational behavior by others, no matter if they are a pedestrian or not.  

AS a pedestrian, I value my life.  Similarly, I've learned I cannot count on any rational behavior from drivers.  I had a very close call with a motorcycle while walking between stopped cars as we were crossing the street.  With no cars in the oncoming lanes, I mistakenly thought it was safe to step out between the stopped traffic to take a look before continuing.  My arm was nearly taken off by a motorcycle who had crossed the yellow line to zoom up to the front of the red light.  He nearly crashed.  My wife grabbed my arm and pulled me down the street before I got in the guys face.  No harm done that time, but I learned a lesson.  

Glad your wife is OK.  Its a good reminder to always keep an eagle eye out, especially when you are on foot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Glad she's ok Steve.

I won't drive in this country, and when walking, I do so 'defensively'.

Unfortunately, we have to accept the bad with the good when we choose to live here.

You only have to look at the stream of (road) 'victim' reports on the local TV channels to gauge the standard of driving in this country. 

We won't change it, or the mentality of the locals. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TimL
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, stevewool said:

Emma was hit by a car yesterday and thankfully she is fine , she was shaken but not hurt .

We was walking with friends along the road where everyone else was walking as the pavement was full of parked cars, as we was walking this car was driving off the pavement parking spot onto the road, we noticed this and turned to go down the side and then behind this car and onwards to our destination, as our friends had past this car suddenly the car reversed quick quickly backwards hitting Emma and sending her to the floor, I managed to grab her before she hit the ground and pull her to the side.

Well you can imagine what happened next , I flew at the car banging and shouting to stop and yes it did stop, but the driver did not get out of the vehicle, in the meantime not one person intervened or helped ‘ maybe if there was blood or death they would have been out with the mobile phones then).

By this time Emma had sorted herself out and was telling me she is fine and let’s just go, which I was doing but as we got past the vehicle and another parked vehicle this drivers door suddenly started to open slowly and the old man who was driving started shouting , Emma returned the shouting and as I understood he was saying he was reversing into the gap and it was her fault , so that’s when I got involved again, again Emma got my arm and said let’s go and all this time this man just sat in his car shouting at us, ok I am in a different country and yes you here about murder and guns and yes he could have had a gun too, but there is rights and wrongs , what would have happened if the vehicle had hurt Ems or our friends I dread to think, as this was a big 4x4 

After only being here a short time I do take care crossing the roads as you have too as 99% of the people here who drive anything motorised only think about themselves and what they have to do, plus the vehicles are to big for the short arses to control.

Anyway like I said Emma is ok and that’s the most important thing.

Glad that she’s okay Steve. Yes, they would’ve all had their phones out recording but most likely wouldn’t have offered any assistance.
Be careful ranting at people, ugly things happen to those who are deemed to have caused someone else to lose face, even when their in the wrong. 
Yes, there is right and wrong In our world but dying over it would be counterproductive as they never seem to see the error of their ways. 
He probably sees it as, if you were in your own Country where you belong, that never would’ve happened. Lol.

Anyway, seems to be a hellish visit for you over here. Ready to relocate here permanently yet? Hahaha

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, TimL said:

He probably sees it as, if you were in your own Country where you belong, that never would’ve happened. Lol.

Totally true... sadly enough.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, TimL said:

Anyway, seems to be a hellish visit for you over here. Ready to relocate here permanently yet? Hahaha

Yes it’s a bumpy road I seem to be travelling at the moment , But I’m not throwing in the towel just yet, as long as you lot are my ‘ Get it of my chest moments ‘  I will be fine.

• Like 2

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Yes I have been known to stop for pedestrians on crossings or just the road. Their problem then  becomes dodging the tricycles and speeding motorbikes passing either side of me.

Exactly why I don't stop for people crossing unless there is literally nothing in sight.  By being courteous as we are brought up to be and slowing to a crawl or stopping for someone to cross the road more often than not places them in greater danger by irresponsible drivers racing pass on either side of your car.  Sadly, very little road awareness or manners here when it comes to driving.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

Exactly why I don't stop for people crossing unless there is literally nothing in sight.  By being courteous as we are brought up to be and slowing to a crawl or stopping for someone to cross the road more often than not places them in greater danger by irresponsible drivers racing pass on either side of your car.  Sadly, very little road awareness or manners here when it comes to driving.

Nobody, at least on this thread so far, has mentioned those pedestrians who just start walking across a road - traffic or not - without so much as a glance at traffic in any direction. I think they are looking for a Darwin Award? L warns me to watch out and then grumbles after about how stupid these people are who do that.

And, as someone mentioned in another thread some time ago - if you stop for some pedestrians who DO watch out, many of them saunter across taking all the time in the world. Maybe I am just weird (quiet! I have already been accused of that) but I hustle across streets when traffic stops for me - that's just my way...and I am always watching and hoping there are no racing motorcycles or taxis or vans rushing along with my name on their bumpers or tires!

Trust me... you don't saunter across a street, even in a crosswalk, when in Chicago, New York or LA... and should not do so in Manila or Davao either!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

gery0x
Posted
Posted

Oh my god, I'm very glad everybody is safe!!

Shouting at the driver was probably not the best idea indeed, but I guess I'd have done the same in this situation.
I think if he'd had hit one of my kids then I'd drag the guy out of his vehicle and give him one or two black eyes...
(only theoretical thinking, I'd probably never do that in real life *lol*)

I've once been in a similar situation, but as the driver not the victim!
I tried to reverse-leave from an elevated Mercury Drug store when I didn't see a dude walking behind my car and I slightly pushed him, strong enough for him to almost fall.
The guy was angry of course but i profusely apologized and asked if he was okay or needed any help. (I really didn't notice him of course)
He was fine and accepted my apology, but he was still pissed to say the least haha..

I think that an honest apology always goes a long way when something goes wrong!

• Like 2