Flyscreens

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I put my foot through the fly screen the other day and I have been checking the others and quite a few have small slits on them, is there such a thing as a repaired kit or is it a case you have to buy a complete new panel again, I have tried to repair what I did with a cotton thread but the rip is to large.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

I put my foot through the fly screen the other day and I have been checking the others and quite a few have small slits on them, is there such a thing as a repaired kit or is it a case you have to buy a complete new panel again, I have tried to repair what I did with a cotton thread but the rip is to large.

I have not seen screen repair "kits," here - that does not mean they don't exist.

I have done repairs in USA before. They are not so pretty, but they will do the job until you decide to replace the screen. What I used was either of two materials: one was just regular screen that might be available at glass shops or building supply outfits - if you are lucky, you can just buy it by the meter at a fixed width. The other is nylon or dacron cloth screen material.

The cloth one needs to be stitched in place. If it's metal screen, then you can sometimes just strip off a few of the wires along each side to allow longer strands to then be inserted into the screen mesh and bent over by hand - careful you don't poke your fingers doing this. If you are super lucky, you may even find screen that matches or comes close to the mesh of the damaged ones? The repairs are noticeable, but they work.

Maybe this will solve your problem?

• Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Anywhere that makes up windows are bound to carry it. Maybe they will sell you a piece. You may find for them to replace the whole screen is so cheap it's not worth the effort trying to repair it.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Anywhere that makes up windows are bound to carry it. Maybe they will sell you a piece. You may find for them to replace the whole screen is so cheap it's not worth the effort trying to repair it.

The other day I went to the local window place , just a workshop on the street corner and the lock on one of the doors had come lose and a part had fell off and been lost, so I got the other lock off to show what needed, went to the window place and showed him what I wanted and they had windows and doors already made so I knew they sold these, but no sir we don’t have them and he tried to sell me a new whole lock for just 65 peso but the only problem it was white, yet all his made up windows was brown , so I walked away and got it somewhere else.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I reckon it's part of the thinking here - if it's worth repairing it's worth replacing so it's often hard to find hardware and such like for relatively simple repairs.  We have cats so the screen doors take a bit of a beating so we get the mesh replaced every so often.  I can't remember how much but not enough to make me make much effort to repair.  

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, stevewool said:

A quick and easy patch - Gorilla type glue and piece of screen. Cut the patch a bit bigger, brush on the glue around the edges and place over the rip. Not pretty, but effective until you decide to replace the entire screen. 

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I used to buy loads and loads of "fly screen" at the local fishing supply store.  It is really a fine mesh fishing net but much cheaper than you will pay at the window shops.  It might not be the answer if you are putting a screen in a window or door but you can screen off you whole patio on the cheap using this method.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 1/8/2020 at 5:40 AM, Gator said:

A quick and easy patch - Gorilla type glue and piece of screen. Cut the patch a bit bigger, brush on the glue around the edges and place over the rip. Not pretty, but effective until you decide to replace the entire screen. 

Yes, I have done this and it does the job for a while.