Voice to text Input

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Are any forum members using speech to text programs or apps for their postings here ?  If so, How practical and useful is it?   I pinched  a nerve 3 weeks ago that rendered my right hand somewhat de-sensitive, making typing more difficult and slower. I can deal with that, but if its a harbinger of my future problems with aging, I might as well start checking out options now. I would like to leave behind some autobiographical tales some day for my descendants and this may be the needed tool. Any shared thoughts or suggestions on this concern would be appreciated. 

You are all very interesting and unusual men here and might want to leave your stories behind for others as well.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

Are any forum members using speech to text programs or apps for their postings here ?  If so, How practical and useful is it?   I pinched  a nerve 3 weeks ago that rendered my right hand somewhat de-sensitive, making typing more difficult and slower. I can deal with that, but if its a harbinger of my future problems with aging, I might as well start checking out options now. I would like to leave behind some autobiographical tales some day for my descendants and this may be the needed tool. Any shared thoughts or suggestions on this concern would be appreciated. 

You are all very interesting and unusual men here and might want to leave your stories behind for others as well.

I’m a Mac guy - iPhone, iPad and Mac laptop. I use speech to text quite often on all of my devices for typing here, texting and other chat apps. I’ve found using a good quality headset, Bluetooth or hardwired, is very helpful and less prone to typos.  You also need to get used to how to use the software associated with what ever device it’s on. For example, dictating numbers can be troublesome at time as it often spells out the number instead of typing just the digits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I used to play with Dragon Speak on the PC, many years ago. It was ok, but the software was new and bit off.  On the PC I just don't bother. But on my phone I use voice to text quite often.  On the Android it works very well.  The biggest problem I have is when I say my punctuation sometimes it will put . , or ?  sometimes it puts period comma question mark.   Not sure why it spells out the word sometimes.  Now I tend to not speak my punctuation and just go back and add it manually. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

On a Mac?  The best one is the one included in the OS...  On Windows..?  One of the Dragon products...   Both are very good for a non-accented North American voice...  Like a gameshow host or newscaster...  (The best are always Canadian...  Hehe..!). Any other inflection in your voice and it's hit and miss if it will work properly for you...  The Man version can handle these better than the Dragon products but it's still...  Yup..!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/6/2020 at 8:25 PM, manofthecoldland said:

Are any forum members using speech to text programs or apps for their postings here ?  If so, How practical and useful is it?

I speak into my 'Notes' app on my iPhone, and I then I copy and paste my ‘Notes’ to my posting(s) on here.

I can also email my ‘Notes’ to myself when I use my laptop for posting. I’ll also use copy and paste for posting with this option.

I have no problems at all with the iPhone 'Notes' app, since it clearly understands everything, including commands for punctuation, such as "coma," "open/close parenthesis,” etc.

Edited by Jack D
added some
  • Thanks 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jack D said:

I speak into my 'Notes' app on my iPhone, and I then I copy and paste my ‘Notes’ to my posting(s) on here.

I can also email my ‘Notes’ to myself when I use my laptop for posting. I’ll also use copy and paste for posting with this option.

I have no problems at all with the iPhone 'Notes' app, since it clearly understands everything, including commands for punctuation, such as "coma," "open/close parenthesis,” etc.

On my phone there is a mic icon anytime I have a keyboard.  I can speak into any text box, but I do not generally surf on my phone, I prefer the PC - but have no mic.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 1/8/2020 at 8:54 AM, Freebie said:

In my last job in China I found that I had a reasonable amount of spare time , and so started on writing a book .

And 3 years later found I had reached page 500. I never knew I had so many stories in me. I added many quotes from poems, movies and song lyrics to enhance the context and found it to be a really enjoyable excersize.

With the assistance of a friend I had the pages properly laid out, designed the front , back cover  and had 10 copies printed.

They will go to my siblings and kids once Im no longer here. Thoroughly enjoyable and I had lots fun researching ( Such as on what date was Knebworth when Rolling stones played, what position I came in London Marathon etc ).... takes time and effort but so does all the good things in life and for those who have a good story to tell, its a great way of running down the various memory lanes we all inhabit .

Would love to read it.:Happy:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

"coma,"

Sometimes that's what I think I am in. Joke lang.