Taxes done in philippines??

hk blues
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Here is a screenshot of my BPI regular savings account quarterly statement.  I don't have any experience with other banks here but my wife says this is the normal practice.

Screenshot (38).png

I couldn't actually read the statement but I assume it shows tax deducted on interest? Certainly that would be the case with other types of accounts here but I couldn't find anything related to standard account hence my uncertainty.

I don't get statements from either of my banks here, Metrobank or BPI, so have no way of checking. Regardless, I'm happy to see it is deducted at source so no issues with my tax. 

I guess the BIR official advised me not to bother doing anything as regards tax returns on the basis that tax was being deducted at source and any over/underpayment would be minimal. 

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I've been using a professional tax guy that lives close to Angeles City for the past 3 years. Has his own business. Very satisfied with his service. He deals with US taxes and international. I have his permission to give his cell number and name if anyone needs it.:wave: 

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I keep money is the Philippines and declare the interest income on my U.S. income taxes.  My wife's accounts too, as we file married filing jointly.  I do it because Fatca rules probably mean that BPI is reporting the interest to the U.S. IRS.  The tax withheld by PH is then claimed on my U.S. return as a foreign tax credit on form 1116.  Last year the interest earned at BPI was $244 and the tax withheld was $48.

So, if I were to file a PH income tax return just to get that $48 back, it would just complicate my U.S. return.  Not worth it.

I was looking at it from a different perspective, but it's all good

• Like 1

fototek1
Posted
Posted

AZ Kid, I would like to have the contact information for your tax person. Thanks,

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

if you are U.S. military

2115.Citizenship/Alien Status

2115.1How does an individual become a U.S. citizen?

You are a U.S. citizen either by birth or by naturalization (see §1725).

2115.2How is an alien eligible for SSI benefits?

A qualified alien can be eligible for SSI benefits if he or she meets one of the categories listed in “A” through “H” below:

1. Who is lawfully admitted for permanent residence (LAPR), and:

1. Has 40 qualifying quarters of creditable work; or

2. Is a veteran, active duty member of the U.S. military or a spouse or dependant child of a veteran or member of the U.S. military; or

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Yeochief said:

2115.Citizenship/Alien Status

2115.1How does an individual become a U.S. citizen?

You are a U.S. citizen either by birth or by naturalization (see §1725).

2115.2How is an alien eligible for SSI benefits?

A qualified alien can be eligible for SSI benefits if he or she meets one of the categories listed in “A” through “H” below:

1. Who is lawfully admitted for permanent residence (LAPR), and:

1. Has 40 qualifying quarters of creditable work; or

2. Is a veteran, active duty member of the U.S. military or a spouse or dependant child of a veteran or member of the U.S. military; or

I'm not sure what you are referring to.  What you posted is about SSI, not Social Security, and refers to a spouse who is (LAPR), in the U.S.

The original poster's wife is not in the U.S. so she would have to reside in the U.S. for 5 years before she can get benefits from his account.  My wife is the same.

• Like 1

dj3642
Posted
Posted

thanks for all the help everyone. sorry havent been back  to thank you.. was going to come online yesterday but i am dealing with the Taal volcano. we are about 18K away from it and have been dealing with a LOT of tremors.. lots of very big one followed by small.  so i am having to take care of things here now.  getting food etc.. you guys are the best :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Stay safe there!

Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 1/7/2020 at 12:03 AM, dj3642 said:

Hi all I asked similar question a long time ago. But since tax season is getting here..  I want to ask once more.. I am looking for people who have their taxes done HERE in the Philippines.. I don’t have a tax man in the US.. I always did my own…. I was usually able to just use 1040EZ.. so its not complicated.. but since this will be my first year filing  here.. does anyone have a person IN the Philippines do their taxes?? I am retired .. and have no income for the last year  including SS as of now.. all I have is interest on bank accounts..  both here and in the US.. I know how to file FBARS .. I have done that before. This is strictly for taxes.. so if Anyone has any suggestions. I would appreciate it. I was looking up Expats H&R block and was thinking of using them but they charge an arm and a leg for stuff.  Thanks in advance for any help..oh.. and one more thing.. when am i allowed to file for the federal tax exemption.. i didnt get here till the end of February 2019.. and not sure how long i have to wait to file. 

If you're EZ, then why the hell do you need someone to do your taxes? You can self file online.  And if you need a professional to help you know how bad you got fleeced there's lots of people and orgs in US with phone lines and internet connections. You don't need someone in the RoP.

https://www.e-file.com/

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 1/13/2020 at 6:11 PM, dj3642 said:

thanks for all the help everyone. sorry havent been back  to thank you.. was going to come online yesterday but i am dealing with the Taal volcano. we are about 18K away from it and have been dealing with a LOT of tremors.. lots of very big one followed by small.  so i am having to take care of things here now.  getting food etc.. you guys are the best :)

I'm about 45 km away and am fortunate that the wind is not blowing in my direction. I sincerely hope that you will get through this in a good way. Take care. Do you have the masks? :huh: