Antibiotics

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

This is true particularily for a long course of antibiotics. To recover your good gut bacteria quicker take a probiotic like Yakult every day or yogurt. 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

As Tommy advised, clean the wound use betadine which I have had 100% success with. Stop the infection before it starts, this is especially relevant to any wound below the the knee. ...As others say ovoid antibiotics if possible, to freely given out here.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Sadly I lost a friend to what started out as a minor cut last week.  He got a small cut in his foot which he ignored.  This got a simple to treat infection which again he ignored.  Within 5 days the infection had spread up his leg and became sepsis.  He was taken to the hospital on Tuesday and died of organ failure on Wednesday leaving 3 teenage boys behind.  

The hospital said it was easily avoidable with basic treatment.  I've seen a few minor cuts go bad here.  More so in people with diabetes.  Never take chances with your health. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love it 1
  • Sad 6

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Freebie said:

Most doctors will prescibe antibiotics for most ailments here. Standard practice.... but the ey wont prescribe more than twice a year , or maybe its no more than twice in 6 months...but, not taking antibiotics doesnt stop the bodies immunity to them though. Every farm raised animal that we eat , is full of them so they are in your body whether you take them or dont.......

My experience is a little different as regards the amount of antibiotics that will be prescribed.  In Hong Kong I suffered from a chronic condition and antibiotics were prescribed on a regular basis but not the same ones each time.  Antibiotics are many and varied and each have different purposes.  Here, my doctor gave me a 2 x 2 week courses but he said at the outset that up to 12 weeks was possible for this particular antibiotic.   

Like most (maybe all of us) on here, I'm no doctor but I would always advise someone to take the advice of their doctor - they are the professionals and, whilst not always right, have way more knowledge than us in terms of all things medical.  

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I went to two Hospitals, first one 6 hour wait so went to a second, waited for 1.5 hours then went to see why the delay....Sorry sir the doctor is unable to come to the hospital. That's when I got a bit frustrated.

Wife got talking to a Filipina and said I could go to a medical center near the town hall. So I went there, only was in about 20 minutes.

Good job nothing serious or I could be in trouble health wise. Doctors in my province are not as professional as Cebu or Manila.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Several years ago I was put on antibiotics to prevent infection when undergoing a root canal procedure in Manila. I think it was clarithromycin? Anyway, whatever it was, a side effect - as noted above in a previous post @roddavis- was that it killed most of the good bacteria in my gut. What it did not kill was Clostridium difficile bacteria.  "(CDI) is due to a toxin-producing bacteria that causes a more severe form of antibiotic associated diarrhea. The disease ranges from mild diarrhea to severe colon inflammation that can even be fatal. ... C. difficile is a gram positive bacterium." - from online medical website.

There is a treatment for this - a nasty antibiotic too - called Flagyl. It, thankfully, cleared it up. Then it was on to repopulating everything by eating yogurt with the natural bacteria in it - also as suggested in a previous post here @OzeMike...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3
  • Love it 1