Leor

Advice: Melbourne, Australian Cafe Open in Cebu.

Hi everyone,

I’m Australian and wanting to bring my popular cafe the the Phillipines. 

My wife has a Filipino passport so, that makes it easier. 

Are there any tips anyone could give me, things to stay away from and things to look out for? 

Looking to setup the flagship in Cebu - IT park area or surrounding. Then move onto Siargao. 

How long do permits take and are they easy to get?

kind regards.

Stay away from stepping on anyone's toes!  

Business works differently here, and one's run by foreigners even more so.  High profile and visible is not necessarily a good thing for a foreign business owner in the Philippines.  

• Like 2

One decision you will have to make is whether to register the business at the local level, provincial level, or national level.  Each brings additional steps.  I'm guessing you would want national level for greatest brand protection.  Philippines is very old school in terms of paperwork:  Everything requires a document, a stamp, a photo, a verification, an authorization, a notarization, etc.  Thumb prints with ink, carbon papers, its like being in the 70s.  Procedures are not very clearly spelled out.  The advice we took, which I will pass along, is just hire your local accountant to make all the rounds for you.  She can stand in all the lines, run all over town to different offices, etc, and only trouble you when necessary.  Your wife would obviously be a huge advantage for you in figuring out everything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leor said:

Hi everyone,

I’m Australian and wanting to bring my popular cafe the the Phillipines. 

My wife has a Filipino passport so, that makes it easier. 

Are there any tips anyone could give me, things to stay away from and things to look out for? 

Looking to setup the flagship in Cebu - IT park area or surrounding. Then move onto Siargao. 

How long do permits take and are they easy to get?

kind regards.

Its like this. Many will be negative with no idea of how things have changed. Here in the IT park there are two business,, sorry make that a third almost open in the mall that are Aussie owned or inspired  with other branches out of the park. Now days permits take 2 days at most but you have 2 months to comply with fire permits ETC which is how it is done now.

So dont listens to  those who have no idea and are thinking of where they live in the Philippines or crap they read online from years ago which does not apply now or more so to this region. 

:tiphat:

• Love it 1

Are there many great coffee shops in the area and is there room for a new breakfast, coffee concept run by industry professionals with 15 years experience? Which are the Australian brands there currently and do they trade well? 

what is the best location? 

In our area coffee shops are taking over from internet cafes. Market saturation would be my concern.

Just remember that you need to be there all the time with 6 eyes working .

Staff, visitors, suppliers, even government officials will all take you for a ride if they can. Glue yourself to the cash register . And hope that you enjoy your chosen life as if its not enjoyable, you will stop paying so much attention and thats when the problems start.

I worked here for 5 years and its most certainly true that "when the cats away" etc etc.

Dont rely on the fact that because its a business thats related to your wife that maybe her relatives wont either interfere, or se themselves as part owners.

Decide who you can trust and assume that if someones not on that list they cant or shouldn't be trusted. Had my own sister law ( back in my married days) take me for a few mill pesos in a business we shared.

13 hours ago, Leor said:

Are there many great coffee shops in the area and is there room for a new breakfast, coffee concept run by industry professionals with 15 years experience? Which are the Australian brands there currently and do they trade well? 

what is the best location? 

There are lots of coffee shops in the IT park. Another due to open any day now. One opened last week in the new mall and probably others there as well. There are probably 2 on every block and thats just one side of the street.

Could you please give me the names of the new / good ones so I can do my research?

6 minutes ago, Leor said:

Could you please give me the names of the new / good ones so I can do my research?

Bo's Coffee

Starbucks 

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf

The Civet Coffee

Chatime

And more but these are big brands here. I dont know who has the best as I dont drink at coffee shops.