Good doorlocks

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

And shouldn't it be a 44 magnum - "the most powerful handgun in the world." (Did I quote that right?):89:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I used to go pistol shooting at various ranges, using a a .357 'Magnum', which I thought was pretty powerful. 

Certainly sounded better than the pea-shooters most people there seemed to be using (and much to their surprise). lol  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

At my high school pistol club, I brought my Dad's 1905 .32 Colt automatic. One guy brought his Italian made 44 magnum - which of course, everyone wanted to try... That had incredible kick and hurt my hand. I would hate to be on the receiving end of one of those hollow point rounds...! Sorry... off topic...again...from door locks...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I agree with the above comments... Hafele (sp?) door hardware is available in a number of stores here in Davao. Many also stock some that are Assa - which I consider to be top notch.

Depending on what you are seeking and the price, just about any type and quality seems to be available here. That includes US$500+ or so electronic door locks (key card/combination) like you find in hotels.

Assa Abloy is a well known brand here in Sweden, that was actually what I had on my mind to bring with me, but if I can find it there, all is good :thumbsup:

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure that the local locks are the same quality as you would buy at home, in the UK Yale is a good brand but the widely available Yale's here are no better than the local stuff which doesn't last. I brought all the locks for our project with me from the UK because of the poor performance of the local stuff and had to use a privacy lock to replace the CR that had rung the handle on the inside. The problem with the UK locking doorknob is that it can lock it's self if it slams in the wind and can only be unlocked with a coin from the outside. Obviously Screwfix are selling cheap Asia imports as well now.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Viking said:

Assa Abloy is a well known brand here in Sweden, that was actually what I had on my mind to bring with me, but if I can find it there, all is good :thumbsup:

Viking... before you decide to not bring door hardware, you might check maybe the best supplier of quality locks here. I just looked and there is a website for Hafele Philippines. Just Google that name and you will find it. The door locks I looked at have the name Schlage-Assa, not Assa Abloy if I recall correctly. They were better quality than what I was seeing at other stores, although many stores stock locks originally imported or supplied by Hafele. They felt very solid when I was playing with the displays.

It would be good to assure yourself that what you can get here will be the same as what you would buy in Sweden. You might even be able to check prices? That I don't know. For me it's the only game in town so no choice of importing - and they did look good. There is also the possibility of the famous Filipino response if you go to buy locks there, "Sorry, out of stock."

The Hafele store is very near where we live. If you would like, I could swing by there today or tomorrow and look more closely at their wares and ask questions about their stocks. I know there are a few branches here so, if out of stock in one store, they might be able to supply from another...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Viking... before you decide to not bring door hardware, you might check maybe the best supplier of quality locks here. I just looked and there is a website for Hafele Philippines. Just Google that name and you will find it. The door locks I looked at have the name Schlage-Assa, not Assa Abloy if I recall correctly. They were better quality than what I was seeing at other stores, although many stores stock locks originally imported or supplied by Hafele. They felt very solid when I was playing with the displays.

It would be good to assure yourself that what you can get here will be the same as what you would buy in Sweden. You might even be able to check prices? That I don't know. For me it's the only game in town so no choice of importing - and they did look good. There is also the possibility of the famous Filipino response if you go to buy locks there, "Sorry, out of stock."

The Hafele store is very near where we live. If you would like, I could swing by there today or tomorrow and look more closely at their wares and ask questions about their stocks. I know there are a few branches here so, if out of stock in one store, they might be able to supply from another...

Thanks a lot for all advices, I really appreciate it. I checked Hafeles webpage and it looked great for a guy like me, who is about to renovate a house.

There is both showrooms and stores not very far from the location of our house in Manila, so you don´t need to go to your local branch and ask any questions, but thank you very much for offering your assistance :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Robi
Posted
Posted (edited)

Home security is noticed by thieves in more ways than one.

Big expensive locks indicate something of value inside.

We never lock a door and always leave a radio on low volume, (preferably a talk station).

Who would enter an unlocked door with no reservations?

Also used to shoot often outside in the middle of the night and scream, (works wonders).

Playing crazy often works as an excellent diversion in Many different situations.

Edited by PotDog
  • Haha 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, PotDog said:

Home security is noticed by thieves in more ways than one.

Big expensive locks indicate something of value inside.

We never lock a door and always leave a radio on low volume, (preferably a talk station).

Who would enter an unlocked door with no reservations?

Also used to shoot often outside in the middle of the night and scream, (works wonders).

Playing crazy often works as an excellent diversion in Many different situations.

There is something in what you are saying, but I'm not 100% with you.

I do think that too much security in an area where most people don't have much can be a clue for criminals but then again, isn't the security there to keep them out anyway?  

As for keeping doors unlocked - if you have insurance that may well null and void any claim.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
On 1/9/2020 at 4:17 AM, Viking said:

I bought a couple of Yale entrance door sets last week and on the bottom of the packaging is says an Assa Abloy company.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1