Good doorlocks

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gary D said:

I bought a couple of Yale entrance door sets last week and on the bottom of the packaging is says an Assa Abloy company.

I hope they are the genuine articles and also that they last you. Do they feel solid when using them?

I had all Assa door hardware back in the '80's on the new home and they were brilliant. They looked great (European lever type) worked great and worked fine for the over 19 years I owned the home. An added bonus was that the outside door dead-bolts featured 7 pin locks and could not be duplicated except by Assa.

Of course, here it will be different as there seem to be no locksmiths and I am not aware of being able to purchase multiple locks with the same key-set. Does anyone know if this is possible? It takes four different keys to access this apartment - it's crazy...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Of course, here it will be different as there seem to be no locksmiths and I am not aware of being able to purchase multiple locks with the same key-set. Does anyone know if this is possible? It takes four different keys to access this apartment - it's crazy...

To be honest Tom, I'm not sure such a thing existed much in the UK - I also had several keys to get into my house in the UK.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, hk blues said:

To be honest Tom, I'm not sure such a thing existed much in the UK - I also had several keys to get into my house in the UK.  

I forgot to mention those four keys are just to get in through the front door. That does not include the two keys for the bedroom, the back door to the fire escape stairs or the key to the roof deck door!

In USA there was just one key set that worked in all four outside/garage access doors. If I carry all the keys needed here (which I never do), I'd look like a janitor! I will look around and post here if I find a solution for the new house locks...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I forgot to mention those four keys are just to get in through the front door. That does not include the two keys for the bedroom, the back door to the fire escape stairs or the key to the roof deck door!

In USA there was just one key set that worked in all four outside/garage access doors. If I carry all the keys needed here (which I never do), I'd look like a janitor! I will look around and post here if I find a solution for the new house locks...

We only  need one key for the main door,  Tom.  I am not familiar with the 1 key, 4 locks system - I don't think it's at all common in the UK.  

In our HK place we didn't need any keys - fingerprint entry and code as a back-up.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

In our HK place we didn't need any keys - fingerprint entry and code as a back-up.  

Well... remember, I think I mentioned that this was back in 1983 or so when my house locks were installed? Maybe I didn't? Anyway... the fingerprint entry or key card or punch in codes make so much sense to me. That's what we are planning to do for the front and back doors. Thanks for your you input, HK!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Well... remember, I think I mentioned that this was back in 1983 or so when my house locks were installed? Maybe I didn't? Anyway... the fingerprint entry or key card or punch in codes make so much sense to me. That's what we are planning to do for the front and back doors. Thanks for your you input, HK!

A word of warning about the fingerprint system, Tom - it isn't completely reliable!  My 1st wife wasn't able to use it as it wouldn't accept her print no matter what so she was stuck with the good old key. And, it often took me several attempts to get it to work.  I'd give it a miss if it were me.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

A word of warning about the fingerprint system, Tom - it isn't completely reliable!  My 1st wife wasn't able to use it as it wouldn't accept her print no matter what so she was stuck with the good old key. And, it often took me several attempts to get it to work.  I'd give it a miss if it were me.

Thanks for the advice, HK. How about the locksets that use punch in codes and/or the electromagnetic cards such as are in hotels? They look like a good alternative, but they don't give them away... The problem I will have with L is - self admitted by her - she has a very poor memory and might forget a code...

Additionally... I actually have problems with the fingerprint id on this laptop... Maybe half the time it seems to not be able to read my fingerprint - that is hardly reassuring!

Edited by Tommy T.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for the advice, HK. How about the locksets that use punch in codes and/or the electromagnetic cards such as are in hotels? They look like a good alternative, but they don't give them away... The problem I will have with L is - self admitted by her - she has a very poor memory and might forget a code...

Additionally... I actually have problems with the fingerprint id on this laptop... Maybe half the time it seems to not be able to read my fingerprint - that is hardly reassuring!

We had both fingerprint ID and Code entry - both had their advantage i.e. no problem with losing/forgetting key but their drawback i.e. not 100% reliable and having to remember, in our case, a 12 digit number. Keycard - well, who hasn't trudged to their hotel room only to find the damned thing doesn't work!  You have already experienced issues with fingerprints.  So, stick with the good old lock and key and save yourself a few thousand pesos. IMHO.

• Thanks 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 1/15/2020 at 10:48 PM, Tommy T. said:

If they are the same brand of door lock you may be able to get a kit to make them all the same. I did that a few years ago when I installed new doors. If you get the kit read the instructions very well because some of the lock components are spring loaded and it is a huge PITA to get them back in if they pop out. I did this with Schlage locks.

• Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Fingerprint locks, Jeez. we have the top of the range padlocks.

• Haha 1