House colours

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JDDavao said:

We have patios front and rear so for looks we added a stone skirt from floor to waist level with a cast concrete "chair rail" atop that, painted white. The rest of the walls are a milk chocolate brown. The roof is white as are the eaves.

Our wall is the house brown from ground to half-way on the 8' front and 10' rear. The the top half is white. The front is painted inside and out. The rear, only inside. The side walls which are 4', are brown inside and out and the pointed angle iron atop those is black.

I don´t understand why not more people in hot climates goes for white roofs :89:

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Viking said:

I don´t understand why not more people in hot climates goes for white roofs :89:

Or Aluminium, it would bounce UV rays back into space.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Viking said:

From what I see here in Davao, the favourite colour for roofs seems to be red or dark brown... I don't understand that either...

But my guess is that these were the colours on sale at the time of construction? That would make a lot of sense to the locals, I think...?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

From what I see here in Davao, the favourite colour for roofs seems to be red or dark brown... I don't understand that either...

But my guess is that these were the colours on sale at the time of construction? That would make a lot of sense to the locals, I think...?

My personal theory is that it's a holdover from the Spanish. Like the desire for the white skin of the rich Spaniards is still ingrained in the culture, so is the desire for Spanish-style red tiled roofs. You can even see this is the tile patterns offered by the steel roof makers.

Then I think your economic theory kicks in. Because that's what the people want, that's what the manufacturers have which drives down the cost and it goes around in a circle. 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Presumably naturally 'cool' Nipa would have been the roofing material of choice anyway, for the poorer (ie majority of) housing in the Phils, before the comparatively new,  and some would say 'ugly' steel corrugated sheets became the norm ?  

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

On our sub-division, we are limited in terms of house colours - we have to stick to a range of about 4 colours.  We chose a maroon red colour with cream trim.  My observation is that the green is the most likely to fade, followed by light blue then light yellow and the maroon red least - that's why we chose it.  Actually, I'm in favour of such restrictions as i like uniformity and dislike the garish combinations we often see here.  Just my own personal taste.

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Color is important... but just as important is the type of paint you use and when/how you apply it. Priming the surface is often missed but makes a huge difference how long it will last.  I would buy the best acrylic paint you can find... semi-gloss or even gloss. You do get what you pay for when it comes to paint. Paint when not in direct sunlight if you can, it allows the paint to cure properly. Paint early enough so the paint will dry before the evening humidity climbs higher. 

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Joey G said:

Color is important... but just as important is the type of paint you use and when/how you apply it. Priming the surface is often missed but makes a huge difference how long it will last.  I would buy the best acrylic paint you can find... semi-gloss or even gloss. You do get what you pay for when it comes to paint. Paint when not in direct sunlight if you can, it allows the paint to cure properly. Paint early enough so the paint will dry before the evening humidity climbs higher. 

I don't disagree but it's most strange that each and every green house in our sub-division has faded more than any other colour yet not all were painted with the same paint type so the colour must be the major contributing factor.  The developer paints the houses and uses either Boyson or Davies. 

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

The developer paints the houses and uses either Boyson or Davies

They are the one of the best Boyson and Davis, also Nippon paint is good too.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I don't disagree but it's most strange that each and every green house in our sub-division has faded more than any other colour yet not all were painted with the same paint type so the colour must be the major contributing factor.  The developer paints the houses and uses either Boyson or Davies. 

Having spent a couple of weeks recently looking a roofs the greens and blues tend to exhibit the most fading.

• Like 1