Taal Volcano Is Emitting Ash

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I didn't realize that volcanic ash was heavy enough to cave in roofs. I always thought it was just a dust like material. I read about the lahar flows. Fortunate to not have experienced it.:mellow:

When combined with water it can be like wet cement.  A lot of the damage from Pinatubo was from roof collapsing, because a typhoon came through at the same time as the eruption.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

My wife's making her way back to Mindanao via Dumaguete   today, ( sadly  after the funeral of her brother).

Is this something to be concerned about  having read further today?

Taal Volcano Eruption in the Philippines is Looking Bad, with Worse to Come

That article was probably written by someone who got their info from other articles.

I drove through Nuvali area yesterday and I never saw signs that the power is out.  Just dust all around.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

That article was probably written by someone who got their info from other articles.

I drove through Nuvali area yesterday and I never saw signs that the power is out.  Just dust all around.

Hi Don

What if any, are the disruptions for flights from Manila over the coming days?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Hi Don

I think the airport is back to normal by today but you should rely on your airline for exact info.  A lot of planes had to be cleaned so schedules may still be disrupted.  If Taal gives another blast and/or if the wind changes, chaos again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

John, Sorry about your loss my condolence. Manila airport flight looks like they are back to normal, but could change from day to day. Eruptions can go on for some time, anytime and depends on wind direction.

Give Ludy my best regards and condolences.

• Thanks 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I think Philvolcs is keeping the alert level high based on historic data showing the eruptions can drag out for months or years.  Anyone find it odd how hyped-up the global news has been?  Seems out of proportion, considering other volcanos that are popping off everywhere.   

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Just now, Marvin Boggs said:

I think Philvolcs is keeping the alert level high based on historic data showing the eruptions can drag out for months or years.  Anyone find it odd how hyped-up the global news has been?  Seems out of proportion, considering other volcanos that are popping off everywhere.   

I agree about the news coverage, but it is possible it could get much worse before it quiets down.

The main reason the most people are in danger is because they live where they are not supposed to.  Living on the volcano island is banned but they live there anyway.  Living around the shore of Taal lake should be banned but isn't.  This volcano erupted for 12 years in the late 60's / early 70's.  People have short memories because the land is fertile and the fishing is good.

• Like 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Agree completely.  I'm one of those nerds who looks at fallout maps and tsunami data before settling on a place to live, haha.  But I think most people just don't want to be bothered.  Like building a house in the Outer Banks NC, or on the slopes of a mountain here in PH.    

• Like 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I've been reading that they're keeping it high because they're seeing new fissures opening up.  That and the earthquakes mean that lava is still making its way into a chamber.  Which indicates another eruption might happen soon...or not.  You never know :89:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 1/16/2020 at 8:16 PM, Kuya John said:

Hi Don

Just got this on FB from PAL.  You can follow their FB page for updates or subscribe to their e-mail alerts.

January 18, 2020
Please be advised that to the need for additional checks on aircraft due to ashfall ingestion, we are compelled to cancel the following flights today January 18:
DOMESTIC CANCELLATIONS Jan 18
PR 2525 Manila - Cagayan
PR 2526 Cagayan - Manila
PR 2967 Manila - Butuan
PR 2968 Butuan - Manila
PR 2331 Clark - Bacolod
PR 2332 Bacolod - Clark
PR 2340 Clark - Puerto Princesa
PR 2341 Puerto Princesa - Clark
PR 2376 Clark - Caticlan
PR 2377 Caticlan - Clark
(Note: PR 408 Manila - Osaka Kansai Jan 18 has been reset to depart at 3:30AM Jan 19)
  • Thanks 1