Sofas and seating furnitures

Viking
Posted
Posted

What kind do you prefer? Leather (real or imitation), fabric, wood or rattan?

I guess there is up and downsides whatever you choose, but I am interested of the opinions of those of you who have stayed there for an extended time. I want something that will last long, not being too hot, comfortable and easy to keep clean and fresh. I have experience of wood and rattan but they are not very comfortable and rattan is not so easy to keep clean either. 

Which type do you prefer and why?

gery0x
Posted
Posted

I'd love to have a decent leather couch but unfortunately that's not a choice for me because we have a cat at home.

So (indoors) I'm going with fabric sofas for years now and I'm okay with that. Important for me is that the cushions are removable for cleaning/washing!

For outdoors rattan is pretty practical *imho* since it can easily be sprayed down with a water hose when it's dirty...

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

The fabric stuff here is very low quality, we bought a set some years ago and it had started to wear in the three weeks we were here. Our current set is wood which has lasted but the foam pads are short lived. The humidity is not good for real leather.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

We've got a good quality leather coach with 2 armchairs that came with the house when we bought it 'partly furnished' plus a medium quality cloth 'sala set' (ditto couch and arm chairs).  The leather couch and chairs have better padding and are more suited in size to western bodies but the leather is a bit hot unless the AC is going in the sala and I don't run it much.  The cloth set is less comfortable but less... sticky. 

I'm not 100% happy with either... but if I could find a good quality cloth sala set sized as per the leather one I would be.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I finally found a leather recliner that is large enough to be comfortable.  I drape a beach towel over the back and seat, otherwise perspiration builds up on the leather and makes is feel kind of yucky.   There always seems to be a lot of dust anywhere you go in the Philippines.  Leather is easier to keep clean than fabric which seems to really hold onto dust even if you have a good vacuum.

• Like 5

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Saw my perfect sofa at a trade show last year.  Rattan type construction with an upholstered removable cushion - a thick one.  I would opt for leather on the cushion personally.  My butt has a real hard time on the locally made bamboo type furniture.  The new 'decorator' furniture that we have been able to find has been rather disappointing in quality, and fully upholstered things here make me worry about bugs.  

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We are looking for a cheap sala set , there are loads out there but it’s getting the right one for the right price, I am interested in wood or Raton as I can always put a cushion under my backside if it’s too hard , my problem is if we are only here a few months of the year why spend to much , even thinking of folding camping chairs , kuripot 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

As I said ours is wood and just buy the foam cushions to take the hardness away. The cheapish fabric set we had was a complete waste of money.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Viking said:

What kind do you prefer? Leather (real or imitation), fabric, wood or rattan?

L and I prefer fabric. We have some fake leather furniture and the plastic cracks and crumbles. Plus it makes me sweat - same with one of the cars - looks like I peed my pants. I will consider getting fabric next and do sort of what my Mom would have done and throw a cover over it when in use - like what Mike does with the beach towel. Leather in tropics just doesn't do it for us...

Outside furniture will definitely be plastic - we have seen some nice items at S & R sometimes and also at some of the home stores. There are chairs with plastic mesh that are cool to sit on and easy to clean.

Oh... and I forgot to mention that we do have a powerful vacuum. It's quite a novelty for L, the working student and anyone else who sees it. They all love to use it - fine with me, then I don't have to do the vacuuming!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

do sort of what my Mom would have done and throw a cover over it when in use - like what Mike does with the beach towel. Leather in tropics just doesn't do it for us...

Outside furniture will definitely be plastic 

We just use sheets that sit over the cloth sala set (I agree a fitted cover would look nicer but I'm not sure where to get one made).

We've got some plastic outside furniture but it's been my experience that it goes hard and can crack after a while.

The other alternative (at a reasonable price) is locally hand made bamboo furniture (but that does need to be re coated every couple of years).

• Like 2