Why do Filipino's Walk so Slow??

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gary D said:

When they are in the malls it's often a day trip and they are largely window shopping so they are spinning jt out. Unlike us westerners who only go to a shop and know exactly what we wont. So a quick in and out.

I have been known to just wear my flip flops when just popping out to get something. So are you saying you can't drive in flip flops.

• Like 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

I drove once in my 'market slippers' and it was scary as hell.  They are too wide to get between the pedals properly.  Nothing like pushing the brake and the gas pedal at the same time...

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Back in Texas people said I walked slow, here they said I walked fast.

My wife told me long ago that if you walk too fast you will sweat more.  So I slowed down. :tiphat:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It's not just the walking slow that gets me.  It's when they push in front of you as if they are in a hurry then they walk at snails pace. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

So a quick in and out.

I prefer slow in and out. Easier on the constitution...:whistling:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

It will have something to do with 'moo moos' or 'God'.   Everything else here does.  :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Why do Filipinos Walk so Slow??

Come on Guys ! It is cos they have shorter Legs :whistling:

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Why do Filipinos walk so slow ?

Because more often than not, they are obviously not in any hurry to get where they are going. They are usually not pressed for time and the culture is not clock driven to the extent that Westernized cultures have become since the era of the Industrialized age. 

It wasn't that long ago that only the upper classes could afford personal time pieces. My father passed my grandfather's pocket watch on to me and that was it. Not of any great financial value today, but to a man born in c. 1870, it represented great social and status achievement. With steam, horse and human muscle power limitations, time accuracy, speed and efficiency weren't as critical to societies' functioning as they became today. At least in the time-driven countries most of us left or retreated from to come here to enjoy life at a slower and more relaxing pace. 

Unfortunately for many of us it can be problematic to convert and adapt to the former historic norms since we worship and are tuned to the speed and efficiency of modernity.  In many areas of PI living, they are running on B.F (before Ford) time.  Glad at least the beer isn't delivered by animal carts now, we have access to ice and some even personal refrigerators, etc.   

That's what I like about living here. Not everyone is hurrying about with a mission madness to keep up with time demands. Its was hard to down shift to granny gear for walking about here, but I had little choice and now enjoy it.  But only while living here. I revert to speed and high efficiency time modes while living in the US for 6 months of the year. To maintain sanity and peace of mind, its important for me to be able to switch physical and psychological modes depending upon the culture I am functioning in at the time and understand the necessity to adapt and accept the differences for the realities they are.  You have to master and learn to live with a certain level of cognitive dissonance if you move here to live and have only experienced a uni-culture beforehand.

That's the difference between a happy and successful long-term ex-pat, and a miserable one. I know fellows of both types.  For what its worth.

I write these bits sometimes to convince myself that I made a good life decision to live here like I do. Ha-ha ! I'll never really know..... but I can live with that.  The question for some is...... Can you ?

• Like 5
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, bows00 said:

If you've spent enough time in the bigger cities, you will know what I mean.  Especially where the side walk real estate is limited and the passing lanes are squezingly narrow.  More often than not, I find myself stuck behind the typical Filipino whenever I'm walking to my destination.  Is it the slippers?  Or is it the "laid back", "not in a hurry" culture here?  

I'm still learning to adjust to these small details.  

Simple answer. Because YOU walk too fast!:smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3