Howdy! I'm Brian

WeFloB
Posted
Posted

Hi all. I figured instead of continuing to search the forums for info, I'd just say Hello and ask instead. So here it goes....

I'm Brian. I live in Key West, Florida US. I am coming to Cebu in March ( my trip is from March 3 to May 5.) 

Here's my intro.l This stuff is always awkward being a dude.. but I see that there's some older guys on here and asking older guys for help has helped me out a lot in life....just popping that social bandaid is tough.

Sooo. I just got 100percent rated 5 months ago. Ive been out of the business for a few years now so I'm not all crazy! Long soap box story. "All the way!" Proud member of Irreverant Warriors, Mission 22 et, VFW..  Enough about that. I don't too much identify with it anymore..(maybe it's just fresh on my mind since we decided to get frisky in the sandbox again recently!lol.)

I just finished up my GI Bill on a marine conservation program at the College of Florida Keys . I didn't want to be that typical combat vet. I lived it for a few years and picked myself up a few years ago.(yup, soapbox again.) I got my PADI divemaster. I work part time now as a divemaster at a local shop with amputees and science kids....mainly for free drives and fishing trips. 

I do service work in my community. That's a big part of that whole 'living in the solution` thing.

I'm not into booze. (Its nice having legalized refer in Florida! Ha!- I stay fit and active.

I don't date under 30. I've lived in Korea for a couple years. I visited Boracay although I don't remember it too much! (...from numerous concussions, not incopious amounts of alcohol, and I'll stick to that!) I know the drill. I was done with bar girls in my 20s and bars in general in my 30s. I'm single but I'm not coming to the Phillipines to be a dirtbag or find a wife.... 

I love discovering new cultures and adventures. I have Filipino friends as well as folks in the veteran and dive communities pointing me towards the Phillipines for my retirement home away from home. 

Thats a start, so please help. I go through hours on YouTube and Google! 

I am coming to Cebu and I need a place to stay fro 2 months. I need to be either near the dive shops or with easy travel to them.

I don't want expensive housing. It's me and whichever of my buddies in the US or wherever I can convince to visit for a few days! They can sleep on the floor or in a hammock!

Any info on what not to bring would be awesome. I've been to places where I brought a suitcase full of clothes and ended up wanting to buy stuff since the prices were so cheap. 

Anyone in any volunteer organizations? I'm sure it will be easy to find stuff. I do dive and marine conservation volunteering here in the US. 

Um, maybe that's a good start. I look forward to corresponding! Drinks on me in advance. Thanks tons and God bless! 

Brian!

Well, there's a start.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Brian.

Lots of retired or ex service here. Appreciate your serving too.

I suggest you ask specific questions in a new topic thread. Find a topic that best matches your question or opinion then start a new one.

I will give some input. PADI DAN Diver myself. We visit Cebu every year I know some of the better dive sites there as well as Leyte.

I think Southern Leyte along the northern coast of Sogod Bay would nicely meet your needs. World class diving reasonable accommodations some Expat community. A small number of dive resorts too.

Anyway start some new thread topics for your specific questions and welcome aboard! :tiphat:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Welcome Brian.  You may want to visit Moalboal if coming to Cebu.  I am not a diver but I would guess that there are at least a half dozen dive shops locally.  Moalboal is just a small town so accommodations are still fairly reasonable.  Not too many American expats here, most of those I see appear to be from Europe.

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum!  My thought echoes Mike J, although there are a lot of dive places in Cebu city, it is choked with traffic and you will probably be relying on public transport (hazarding a guess).  Moalboal or even Santander are going to be a lot more pleasant.  At Santander you'd have quick ferry access to Dumaguete and Siquihor, which give you options of different places to try. 

WeFloB
Posted
Posted

Thanks gents! I will start some new threads about general stuff. Mike, Moalboal is actually an area that I have been looking at.  I was checking out Lapu Lapu as well. Alona just seemed too far away from other stuff for me and pretty touristy...I get enough of the chaotic tourist scene here in Key West!!! Old55, thanks for the info. I will go into a YouTube hole about Sogod Bay. I will have a couple months to check things out once I get across the pond.  

WeFloB
Posted
Posted

Thanks Marvin! Sounds like that Moalboal area will be a good start. I was just typing a new thread about the ferry services in Moalboal! I will definitely be taking a few short trips. I am adding Santander to the Google list. I haven't heard of there. I owe you fellas a round. 

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum. You have chosen wisely.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

If you've not booked anything also try Puerto Galera on Oriental Mindoro.  Probably the best diving in the Philippines and enough ex pats to warrant being able to get Western essentials without feeling like you're back in the West.  You can pretty much cover a 30 mile radius in 40 mins as the traffic is just local tricycles and the odd jeepney. 

• Like 2

Howard
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Brian!

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Welcome Brian,  From your opening it sounds like you may be a good fit on the forum here.  A lot of friendly guys with a lot of helpful information to be gained.  Like others have said, just ask.  How are things in Key West now?  I spent a lot of winters at my uncles on Riviera Drive from the mid 60s thru 2000.  Last visit was 2010.  Enjoyed the fishing and diving near Sand Key and Fort Jefferson.  There are some other nice sites in the Philippines close to Cebu.  Check out Bohol also.  Again welcome, danny