Wearing a suit in the Philippines

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

Local formal wear is slacks and a Barong Tagalog. That's what I wore for our church wedding and that was a big deal, officiated by a Monsignor at Basilica  Santo Nino in Cebu. She should have some pride in her own culture and not force you to suffer.

Agree with Guy.  Ask your girl if you can ditch the jacket and wear a formal Barong.  Much more comfortable and they look great, that is what I wear to weddings, debutante balls, and other events where formal wear is appropriate.  That is also what I will be wearing when it comes time to rest in a coffin. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I have observed close friends and relatives to debutantes and weddings and parties, where "formal" is the declared attire, wearing jeans and T-shirts. I feel this is inappropriate. I agree with Guy and Mike - if you wear the Barong Tagalog, you show respect to the local culture as well as look sharp.

• Like 5

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

Local formal wear is slacks and a Barong Tagalog. That's what I wore for our church wedding and that was a big deal, officiated by a Monsignor at Basilica  Santo Nino in Cebu. She should have some pride in her own culture and not force you to suffer.

Thanks for the advice guys , I've just been told I'm sitting next to the bishop and an ombudsman ( both are uncles ) 

So I will be wearing a suit :bash:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Those four words pretty much end all argument and need for advise from ANYONE :hystery:

Welcome to the world of being hitched to a Filipina :whistling:

Never a truer statement has been made!!!

• Haha 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Most of the special 'attire' that one sees at these ''events' is hired for the day... and of cheap quality. 

At least your suit will fit  (hopefully :unsure: )

Throw the jacket over your shoulder, in nonchalant style ... and you'll look a real movie star, so beloved by all Filipinos.  :mocking:

paradise_kiss wink.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I would have told her I did not own a suit.  A small lie, for my own comfort. 

When I moved over here I left my suit hanging in my sister's closet.  I may need it during a visit to Texas, I will never need it here. I was at a formal event with the Rotary club. I wore slacks, dress shoes, and a collared shirt with a tie.  I was the only one there without a jacket.  Some of the more senior members told me I need to buy a sport coat... and I laughingly (but firmly) told them that I did not wear a jacket to my wedding, I will not wear a jacket to my funeral, and have no plans on buying one in between.  There is no reason to wear a jacket while I live in the tropics.  They did not seem happy with me, but they dropped it.

• Like 4

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I have observed close friends and relatives to debutantes and weddings and parties, where "formal" is the declared attire, wearing jeans and T-shirts. I feel this is inappropriate. I agree with Guy and Mike - if you wear the Barong Tagalog, you show respect to the local culture as well as look sharp.

When we got married we bought a barong for me.  When my filipino BIL got married, he borrowed my suit.  Ironic, no?  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1