Wearing a suit in the Philippines

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not sure the luxuriant growth of hair on my belly looks 'tasteful', poking through that thin cloth on those Barong things. 

Personally, I think they look odd, without the grass skirt, Sarong,  or whatever was originally intended to be worn with them . :whatever:  

Edited by graham59
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

When we got married we bought a barong for me.  When my filipino BIL got married, he borrowed my suit.  Ironic, no?  

Agreed...

We try to fit in at least a little...they want to look cool, western and affluent.

Last year we went to two outings. The first one was declared as formal and I wore a long sleeved, white collared shirt, jeans and my dark grey sport coat. I was overdressed. Same deal...many ex-pats and Filipinos there were wearing T-shirts and jeans. At the second one declared to be semi-formal/"street smart," I wore a semi-formal Filipino-style shirt that laced up the front with the sport coat over it. (L asked me..."What is street smart?" - I replied that, "Well, I don't really know so I will just try not to look stupid..." ) Again... a bit overdressed. But I saw at least two or three guys with suits and ties so at least I had a bit of company.

Of course, L spent over an hour doing her hair and make-up and dressed very nicely each time, as she always does. And it looked like most of the Filipinas did the same.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Personally, I think they look odd, without the grass skirt, Sarong,  or whatever was originally intended to be worn with them . :whatever:  

You could always wear a skirt with that, if you wish, Graham....right?:hystery:

• Haha 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

My Mrs groans every time I put on the shirt that can be seen in photos from 10 years ago. lol

That's what happens when you buy QUALITY.   :thumbsup:   (Try telling her that.. :rolleyes: ). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

You could always wear a skirt with that, if you wish, Graham....right?:hystery:

I did consider bringing my kilt, sporran etc but could not be bothered trying to explain my skean dho ( short stabbing knife ) to the guys at customs, it's part of the attire and as for a Dirk ( short sword ) forget it lol

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, graham59 said:

Not sure the luxuriant growth of hair on my belly looks 'tasteful', poking through that thin cloth on those Barong things. 

That is why they wear undershirts.

I asked my wife if I should buy a barong for our wedding and she said not to bother.  Other than weddings, she said the only people who wear them are politicians.  But then... she is kuripot ha ha :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

When a friend of the wife got married to a British guy he wore a suit and jelled his hair which proceeded to run down his face in the heat.:hystery:

• Haha 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I read all the other replies.

Times they are a changing.  I think you need to judge every event separately and make sure you dress appropriately.

Many events will now have FB pages where they give information about the event.  The wedding I went to yesterday was very clear, with many posts, that Formal meant at black or dark blue suit for men, and a gown for the women.  No barongs and I did not see one at the wedding.  Yes, it was pretentious but it is what it is.

There were only a few men who did not wear suits.  Quite a few women had floral dresses that were not formal.

If it is declared a formal event requiring a suit, they certainly will have aircon.

I wore a barong at my wedding.  I brought two suits but they don't fit as I have gained a lot of extra muscle since moving here.  I was able to kill 2 birds with one stone on the suit front.  I bought a suit in New Zealand (they have lots of big guys there!) and was able to use it for the New Zealand wedding on Dec. 27th and then again yesterday.

I was a proxy primary sponsor yesterday and my two girls were flower girls.  I don't think I would have been comfortable walking up the aisle in anything but a suit.

• Like 2

gery0x
Posted
Posted

I only wear a suit when I have to attend at court.

Or in a high-level management meeting in business.

In the Phils, nah!

A white Polo-Shirt, jeans and closed shoes (even white sneakers) always did the job for me so far...

• Like 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted

“Wearing a suit in the Philippines?”

Not even the president of the Phils typically wears a suit.

09D4136F-47B6-4F82-8157-49E6C9603D2A.jpeg

But DU30 will occasionally wear a suit (that looks like he bought it at an Ukay Ukay) when he meets with foreign government officials.:laugh:

77DD0DF4-33ED-4055-91F5-D6EF8EE4208F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3