City life to the countryside

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

:whistling: In one Steve

Somehow i am getting the feeling that the family is more important then what I thought I had, or is that being childish.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Somehow i am getting the feeling that the family is more important then what I thought I had, or is that being childish.

No Steve, it is a Realistic view many of us share, believe me

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

That is why there are options.  I am a city boy through and through!  I live 20 km out of the city and get so bored on this rice field.  I will take the city any day!  Also, in my experience, the farther from the city... the louder it gets.  We moved to the city a few years back for the peace & quiet.

I only moved back out here, to the boonies, for rent free living.  Looking for an apartment in the city now ha ha

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I enjoy visiting the family relatives that live in a tiny village a couple of hours inland from Oslob down south of Cebu, I find it so peaceful and relaxing... but then I'm from the country and my family were farmers.   

The safety issue doesn't worry me but having to walk 30 minutes, then ride a motorbike an hour (or have a serious 4x4) just to get to a small town with a market, a cojuple of gas stations and no mall is just a bit lacking in western comforts for me.

But YMMV, if it's what makes you happy then go for it.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

That is why there are options.

I am with Tim on this one. 

Give me konvinense over quite. We have live in Metro Manila for 7 years. Very, very few brown outs, reliable and fast internet (usually :hystery:) no water interruption. Malls and stores with variety of imported items. Large choice of very good restaurants.

All joking aside, Barangay life was probably the most important factor in us retiring in the Philippines. I can safely say that with in 200 meters of my house we have 3 bakeries, 2 butcher stalls, my barber, wifes beauty parlor, water station, newsstand, a pelenki for fish and veggies, money changers, our credit union, internet cafe for scanning. In short I don't have to drive, take a jeepney or trike to take care of any daily needs.

If I need peace and quite, I retreat into my man cave, turn on the aircon and Netflix :whistling:

2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

if it's what makes you happy then go for it.

Truer words were never spoken :thumbsup:

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

I would add, that I have never once felt 'unsafe' here in the countryside. Quite the opposite. 

Oh, and being on the edge of a village, we do actually have a very good bakery only 200 yards up the road, plus other shops, which cater to the three local schools, also just up the road.  I often wonder where all the hundreds of pupils actually live ! lol.  

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

No one- size- fits- all answer - there are city mice and country mice. The important thing is not to fall in love with the novelty of something and discover down the line it's not as idilic as it first seemed. 

I love spending a few nights at the family place in the countryside but i see the negatives. I'm about 10km from the city in a busy semi-rural setting - some days it's the best of both worlds and other days it's the worst. 

Also, as both us and our families age, our needs change - for some that's not an issue but for others it is a major consideration. Healthcare and education matter and are important.I know that even living next door to an ER here might still not help, but for sure living an hour or more away definitely won't.

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

All things in moderation, and remember to look left and right when crossing the road.  :thumbsup:

Edited by graham59
  • Like 2