City life to the countryside

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I retired here in 2002. Plenty of rice fields and dirt roads for my GF and I to ride our bikes every morning. Fast forward to 2020. I'm too old to go bike riding and even if I could, the dirt roads are gone, the rice fields are gone. Progress has taken over. All of the roads are cemented and the big players came in and took over. Jollibee, Mcdo, Savemore, Puregold, Robinsons, etc. When I here other people say that the Philippines is a poor country..then where the do all of these brand new cars come from that are all over the road? Aray naku!:shades: 

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I retired here in 2002. Plenty of rice fields and dirt roads for my GF and I to ride our bikes every morning. Fast forward to 2020. I'm too old to go bike riding and even if I could, the dirt roads are gone, the rice fields are gone. Progress has taken over. All of the roads are cemented and the big players came in and took over. Jollibee, Mcdo, Savemore, Puregold, Robinsons, etc. When I here other people say that the Philippines is a poor country..then where the do all of these brand new cars come from that are all over the road? Aray naku!:shades: 

Credit

jimeve
Posted
Posted

City life, too much pollution..... Jungle life too many roosters, dogs, neighbors that thinks playing loud disco at 6am is a good thing.

Getting use to the noise, OMG hope I don't turn into a flip, started drinking Redhorse. :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

As Steve says, credit. You guys in the USA know a thing or two about very loose credit criteria and here it seems it's more about getting the loan approved than ensuring the loan can be repaid. 

Also, a car is a visible sign of wealth that can be shown off around the Barangay and beyond so they will happily spend the same, or more, on a car than their house which is only visible to the neighbours who already know you don't have a pot to piss in!

And they can only afford the fuel to take out once in a while, 100 pesos doesn't take you far.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, jimeve said:

City life, too much pollution..... Jungle life too many roosters, dogs, neighbors that thinks playing loud disco at 6am is a good thing.

Getting use to the noise, OMG hope I don't turn into a flip, started drinking Redhorse. :shock_40_anim_gif:

You've been to my barangay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 1/17/2020 at 5:42 PM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

That is why there are options.  I am a city boy through and through!  I live 20 km out of the city and get so bored on this rice field.  I will take the city any day!  Also, in my experience, the farther from the city... the louder it gets.  We moved to the city a few years back for the peace & quiet.

I only moved back out here, to the boonies, for rent free living.  Looking for an apartment in the city now ha ha

I can relate to this after living on the beach in a semi remote area for many years. The first few years were for sure paradise, as time went on and we experienced all the hassles associated with being away from the cities the dream started to fade, suddenly the other side of paradise started appearing more and more.

Fast forward, we recently bought a small condo in the out skirts of a city as a get away plus shopping convenience. Now we spend more time condo living and our large house almost not required. Something about the conveniences of a city sure get appealing after years without.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

And they can only afford the fuel to take out once in a while, 100 pesos doesn't take you far.

And had better have that old pop bottle of some grade of fuel in just in case we run out

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, hk blues said:

As Steve says, credit. You guys in the USA know a thing or two about very loose credit criteria and here it seems it's more about getting the loan approved than ensuring the loan can be repaid. 

Also, a car is a visible sign of wealth that can be shown off around the Barangay and beyond so they will happily spend the same, or more, on a car than their house which is only visible to the neighbours who already know you don't have a pot to piss in!

Reminds me of the guys in the poor neighborhoods of the big cities in the early 70's. Driving around with Cadillac's wearing Superfly suits, gold chains, and Afros. I pity the fool! :laugh:

• Haha 1