Shopping by myself today

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Down to the DIY store today I had my list and in I went , sandpaper , only wet and dry, wood dye , only colour vanish, brown silicone, hooray but where is the nozzle it’s behind the counter sir once you have paid, silicone spray , no only oil, and the last thing on my list a wooden rasp , a what they asked , no we have a plane and we have a file but no rasp.

The only thing good about my trip I did not spend much 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gary D said:

The assistant is not there to help you just to stop you stealing anything.

Does that include when we were looking at kitchen sinks yesterday at Wilcon?:laugh:

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I do like to have a good look around but they follow you and the more you look the more people follow you, it’s handy if you forgot your basket because they all help carry the goods to the counter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Even when the clerk knows english items here will often be called by a much different name. 

A great example of this...

I was at a gas station asking about cost and ability to deliver propane to the future house. The woman looked at me blankly? Propane?

Yes, for cooking... still the blank look. You know...gas. Oh we have gas out front and points at the pumps outside. Still a bit frustrated, I remembered that same advice like yours that another expat told me. I looked then and pointed at the array of propane tanks lined up on the other side of the room... Oh!!! Lights on in her mind - you mean Gasul! Yep...that's what I mean, sorry...:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Haha 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

Agree... photo (or actual sample) of required article is by far the least stressful and productive way to shop....particularly in hardware stores (about the only places I shop anyway. lol). 

So....always keep ONE back from those nails, screws, bolts, washers, etc, if you're going to need more of the same, and load up your phone with pics of desirable items...other than women, that is. :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Another shopping story from me -

My contractor decided it would be easier to disconnect my washing machine and extension hose at the joint rather than simply disconnecting from the tap with a push up and pull down motion.  He broke the connector.

I went to ACE yesterday - showed the assistant the broken piece.  he said, yes, we have similar.  He then proceeded to try to sell me 2 connectors and 1 adaptor.  I asked him if they didn't simply sell one connector with two open ends for joining the pipe - exactly as per the piece I showed him.  He said yes, we have that also.  Now, they aren't on commission so why would he try to sell me 3 pieces which required a lot more work to fit rather than 1 piece which is easy to fit?  I have no explanation for this.    

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, stevewool said:

Down to the DIY store today I had my list and in I went , sandpaper , only wet and dry, wood dye , only colour vanish, brown silicone, hooray but where is the nozzle it’s behind the counter sir once you have paid, silicone spray , no only oil, and the last thing on my list a wooden rasp , a what they asked , no we have a plane and we have a file but no rasp.

The only thing good about my trip I did not spend much 

Haven't used a rasp in years. Must be only used for hobbies nowadays. :huh:

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Another shopping story from me -

My contractor decided it would be easier to disconnect my washing machine and extension hose at the joint rather than simply disconnecting from the tap with a push up and pull down motion.  He broke the connector.

I went to ACE yesterday - showed the assistant the broken piece.  he said, yes, we have similar.  He then proceeded to try to sell me 2 connectors and 1 adaptor.  I asked him if they didn't simply sell one connector with two open ends for joining the pipe - exactly as per the piece I showed him.  He said yes, we have that also.  Now, they aren't on commission so why would he try to sell me 3 pieces which required a lot more work to fit rather than 1 piece which is easy to fit?  I have no explanation for this.    

At Wilcon they do understand the male and female connectors. If there is one around you give them a try.:mellow: