hammerite paint

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Any ideas where I may find this or a similar make , we have some metal bars that could do with a coat of paint but all I seem to find is the spray can version  for metal , thank you

• Hmm thinking 1

Mick
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Any ideas where I may find this or a similar make , we have some metal bars that could do with a coat of paint but all I seem to find is the spray can version  for metal , thank you

I could not find hammerite, but I got some metal paint from wilcon in a can, can't remember the make, but it's lasted and still looks like new

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Steve we used Automotive Paint, gives that Hammerite effect and has lasted 7 years now, any car pars should carry it and comes in varying Sizes

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I use enamel paint for metal - if it's already primed it's fine. 

• Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

Are the metal bars going to be exposed to the elements? Or encased in concrete.. makes a difference.:shades:

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

Are the metal bars going to be exposed to the elements? Or encased in concrete.. makes a difference.:shades:

Some are some are not.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Some are some are not.

If it's rebar it wouldn't need painted anyway - at least I've never seen rebar painted.  If it's encased in concrete there would be no need to paint - I'm not sure if AK was joking or not when he asked that. 

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

If it's rebar it wouldn't need painted anyway - at least I've never seen rebar painted.  If it's encased in concrete there would be no need to paint - I'm not sure if AK was joking or not when he asked that. 

Outside we have a few metal bars on the balcony’s that’s need repainting  and inside we have the staircase that has a fancy metal design but has become grimy and surface rust , so that’s what I would like to paint .

jimeve
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Outside we have a few metal bars on the balcony’s that’s need repainting  and inside we have the staircase that has a fancy metal design but has become grimy and surface rust , so that’s what I would like to paint .

Red oxide primer for bare iron.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

if it is rusty and you want to do a good job that might last longer, clean up the grime with soap or solvent and lots of water. Make sure there are no leftover residues. Brush or scrape off any loose rust. Then paint on "rust converter" - the locals may not know it by any other moniker. I used phosphoric acid - often known as "Phospho" - they may know that name. It is available here at almost any hardware store. Anyway, it converts the rust to iron oxide which then forms a barrier to further rust - at least for a while. After that dries, then paint over it with something akin to Rustoleum or other metal coating paint and it should last a long time until next re-do...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1