hammerite paint

stevewool
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I would use.... Zinc Chromate Primer. Red oxide is for iron. I foolishly used red oxide on my car port and is now peeling. I should have known better being a painter n decorator for 40 odd years:bonk:

Thanks Jim , Emma was about to get me painting these before they are up, now it may have to wait for weeks or years ., 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

Thanks Jim , Emma was about to get me painting these before they are up, now it may have to wait for weeks or years ., 

It's usual to let the galvanised sheets weather before painting, maybe next year.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jimeve said:

I would use.... Zinc Chromate Primer. Red oxide is for iron. I foolishly used red oxide on my car port and is now peeling. I should have known better being a painter n decorator for 40 odd years:bonk:

I may very well be wrong about this, but I thought that anything galvanized needed to be treated with something like an acid in order to make it accept painted on coatings? This is what I was told when inquiring about painting a galvanized anchor some years ago. Was I given inaccurate advise? It did do what was suggested - I forget what acid I used, but applied that and then copious water to rinse it clean. The paint adhered quite well...

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I may very well be wrong about this, but I thought that anything galvanized needed to be treated with something like an acid in order to make it accept painted on coatings? This is what I was told when inquiring about painting a galvanized anchor some years ago. Was I given inaccurate advise? It did do what was suggested - I forget what acid I used, but applied that and then copious water to rinse it clean. The paint adhered quite well...

Indeed Tommy it's called etching, You can use vinegar or use weak acid you can buy this acid at a decent hardware store. But using Chromate on tin roofs will be sufficient.

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
AusExpat
Posted
Posted
On 1/20/2020 at 6:26 PM, hk blues said:

If it's rebar it wouldn't need painted anyway - at least I've never seen rebar painted.  If it's encased in concrete there would be no need to paint - I'm not sure if AK was joking or not when he asked that. 

In a couple spots in a house we own the rebar was put down and the concrete poured, the rebar was sitting on the bottom so with time the rebar has rusted and popped the concrete off so the rusty rebar has become exposed in many places. Painting might have helped but it was done decades ago so nothing we could do about it.

The front gate I painted with red oxide too, wish I'd been able to paint it before it went into the ground, with the dogs 'watering' the poles rust just below ground level could become problematic in a couple of years

On 1/24/2020 at 9:22 AM, stevewool said:

Having just brought some new corrugated sheets and they are just silver in colour , can I just prime these with red oxide paint then paint them using the boysen I brought, or can I just use the boysen without the red oxide .these will be on the roof under the baking sun and all weathers .

The red oxide also comes in green and blue I think. We painted a new roof with the red oxide as new (didn't know about letting it weather or etching so that's useful information for next time) it's only been about 6 months but seems to be holding up ok so far.