Washing machines

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Gary D said:

So you wash only at 10kg and if you wash and dry you limit it to 6kg. Simples.

A bit of a hassle and it will take 2+ hours per load, tying up the unit.  Might be ok for a single guy but for anyone doing a lot of laundry, I don't think so.  However, to each his own.

That reminds me of a chuckle.  My wife sold our crappy 6kg Electrolux to someone on FB Marketplace for 10k.  It was around 3 years old and we only paid 15k.  It worked as designed but as mentioned earlier, it did not dry well because it was too small.  They came over to pick it up.  There were a whole bunch of the family in an old van.  They were all excited because with this dryer (it was rainy season) they were going to start a laundry business!  I just smiled When I heard this.

RBM
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

We bought this one about 3 months ago. Very solid and does exactly what it should - no more and no less.  Early days but very impressed with the machine for the price.  Only problem was that the connector for the water inlet was not the right type so we had to cut off and connect two hoses together.  

Yeh same issue, we ended up buying another faucet with a longer pipe, works well now, no leaks.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, jimeve said:

But you said it takes 2 hours longer with the drying setting.

It takes my wife 15 minutes to hang them out, 15 minutes to bring them in when dry. 

And you can't put another load into wash while waiting for the dryer to do it's thing!

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

Does it have a temperature dial or setting for different types of clothing baston?

It has different settings including things like spin dry , it's a top loading machine ,the cold water goes straight in an you put in the soap , there are no dials for temperature setting

Edited by bastonjock
  • Thanks 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

We don't weigh our cloths before we wash them, my wife has stuffed our washer/dryer combo full and it's still drys, also queen size comforters, it just takes longer , it has an auto dry setting.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

And you can't put another load into wash while waiting for the dryer to do it's thing!

It works okay, we put a load in before bed or before we go to the beach, we don't have to pull it out and move it to the dryer. As far as hand washing I personally don't care for it, it makes all my shirts that are cotton become oversized and thin from being stretched and sanded with a rock or whatever they use.

Edited by Heeb
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Heeb said:

It works okay, we put a load in before bed or before we go to the beach, we don't have to pull it out and move it to the dryer. As far as hand washing I personally don't care for it, it makes all my shirts that are cotton become oversized and thin from being stretched and sanded with a rock or whatever they use.

I would probably like one if I was single because I am an absent minded laundry person.  I tend to start a wash load and it will sit there after it is done for a long time.  For out family of 5, we have a lot of laundry so my wife does 2 or 3 loads per session, every day or too.  With the settings she uses, each wash load takes a bit over an hour, so she is right on top of it when the buzzer goes off.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

she is right on top of it when the buzzer goes off.

I wish ours had a simple buzzer instead of the silly melody!

But otherwise it is great. We just dump in whatever needs to be washed and the machine automatically tests it for weight and then measures the amount of water needed for each load. To me, that is a neat feature because it uses the right amount of water without wasting. We can also adjust the time of each cycle if we wish and choose the style of agitation - from delicate to jeans. It's mostly set it and forget it. And after so many years washing in only cold water, I really don't miss having hot water for clothes washing.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I wish ours had a simple buzzer instead of the silly melody!

But otherwise it is great. We just dump in whatever needs to be washed and the machine automatically tests it for weight and then measures the amount of water needed for each load. To me, that is a neat feature because it uses the right amount of water without wasting. We can also adjust the time of each cycle if we wish and choose the style of agitation - from delicate to jeans. It's mostly set it and forget it. And after so many years washing in only cold water, I really don't miss having hot water for clothes washing.

Do you feel that underwear and bedshets gets clean enough when washed in cold water? I am curious because I have never used anything else than hot water for that. Maybe it is totally unnecessary? What kind of machine will you buy to your new house, one that can wash in different temperatures or cold water only?

Some of you also talk about dryers, are they necessary for a small household of just 2 persons? I guess the the biggest problem getting the laundry dry will be during the wet season, we can hang ours out of the rain but maybe the humidity will mess it up?

What is you guys experince of this?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Viking said:

Do you feel that underwear and bedshets gets clean enough when washed in cold water? I am curious because I have never used anything else than hot water for that. Maybe it is totally unnecessary? What kind of machine will you buy to your new house, one that can wash in different temperatures or cold water only?

Some of you also talk about dryers, are they necessary for a small household of just 2 persons? I guess the the biggest problem getting the laundry dry will be during the wet season, we can hang ours out of the rain but maybe the humidity will mess it up?

What is you guys experince of this?

I am definitely no expert, Viking... But after several years of cold water laundering, I find that everything seems to get very clean. If there are thoughts that something needs more cleaning, we just soak the laundry in the machine for a while and let the detergent work away at it all. Our machines only use cold and don't have any capability for heating water and we will continue to use them.

I never used other than hot water before I started sailing over 25 years ago. We will just continue to use the machines we already have - a 10 kg Samsung machine and a 8 kg Samsung machine. We will have a space set aside for a dryer, but will not install one right away - we are going to be way short of funds for a while...

Here in Davao, hanging to dry works well most of the time - the rain is more common late in the afternoon or overnight. I have no idea about other locations. We will also have some space set aside for a limited area of hanging inside the future laundry room...

• Thanks 1