Washing machines

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

Do you feel that underwear and bedshets gets clean enough when washed in cold water? I am curious because I have never used anything else than hot water for that. Maybe it is totally unnecessary? What kind of machine will you buy to your new house, one that can wash in different temperatures or cold water only?

Some of you also talk about dryers, are they necessary for a small household of just 2 persons? I guess the the biggest problem getting the laundry dry will be during the wet season, we can hang ours out of the rain but maybe the humidity will mess it up?

What is you guys experince of this?

I was very concerned about the issue of washing clothes (and dishes) in cold water only but I have to say I have not noticed any difference other than that the clothes don't get as "washed out" now - that's a positive.  That said, the type of clothes we wear here tend not to need so much care as the ones we may wear back in civilisation! 

As for a dryer - for most of the year you could probably get away without but during rainy season you may have a problem.  Of course, you could simply go to one of the numerous laundry stores during such times. For me, if you are buying a machine you may as well get one with at least a spin dry function if not a full dryer.

• Thanks 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Here in Davao, hanging to dry works well most of the time - the rain is more common late in the afternoon or overnight. I have no idea about other locations. We will also have some space set aside for a limited area of hanging inside the future laundry room...

From what I remember of rainy season in Subic when I was stationed here in the 80s it basically rained constantly for 3-4 months with a few small breaks and it came down hard. Unfortunately we had to wear leather boots and pants and we were outside mostly all day in the rain, athletes foot and crotch rot were a big problem.

• Sad 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Heeb said:

From what I remember of rainy season in Subic when I was stationed here in the 80s it basically rained constantly for 3-4 months with a few small breaks and it came down hard. Unfortunately we had to wear leather boots and pants and we were outside mostly all day in the rain, athletes foot and crotch rot were a big problem.

Ah... It's not nearly so bad here in Davao. During rainy season, it usually seems to rain mostly late afternoon or night and days are normally clear, breezy and very hot. Right now it is mostly breezy with just a few rain storms at night and only in selected areas - not widespread.

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

I think our Twin-tub cost me about p9000, 4 years ago.  Works perfectly. Cold water of course.

Us peasants can't afford those (ridiculously overpriced)  p40,000 machines.  

Bear in mind that the separate spinner on a twin tub is able to run a lot faster than your average 'automatic' washer, so drying times, outside or inside, are reduced. 

You can also run a fan on to your washing hanging inside, during rainy season days. Dries much faster.  

Anyway, our nice new covered roof deck will have rainy season clothes drying facilities incorporated as standard. 

Otherwise, no probs for us, hanging stuff out on the line in our large garden.  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, graham59 said:

I think our Twin-tub cost me about p9000, 4 years ago.  Works perfectly. Cold water of course.

Us peasants can't afford those (ridiculously overpriced)  p40,000 machines.  

Our twin tub cost about 12,000 2 years ago, it's a Sanyo and it works perfectly (also Cold water).  I was going to buy an automatic and SWMBO suggested we should not because they were difficult for the local shops to fix if they broke (that would probably not be the case in Manila or Cebu but CDO is a bit more isolated).

I really don't mind, the women in the family are happy with it and they even use it to do the washing of a much older (and now single) female lola once a week.   She had a western husband who died some years ago (he was older than her but not by a huge amount) and lives in a nice(ish) but older house a few streets from us in the same subdivision. 

She helped SWMBO and her mama and papa when she was younger and now they help her (nb she has never asked for or been given money, she just can't wash or do heavy lifting and the younger relatives help with that). 

She is a nice lady (and she calls me young which I don't get much so she gets a pass) :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1