Corona Virus

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We have a new PUI here locally in Olongapo.  Lady had been in Taiwan recently and then had a fever / cough here at home, and turned herself in.  Good on her!  She is in isolation and getting tested.  Hopefully is just normal flu / cold.

The weather here has been causing lots of coughing, so wearing of masks is a good thing for some people.  The weather is very dry and windy, causing the air to be full of dust and pollen from the forest.  We have a big expressway construction project nearby and that is making it worse.  When I head down the hill in the morning at 0715 to drop my daughter at school, there is a brown dusty haze over the bay.

I had cough with runny nose a few weeks ago and it turned into an asthma attack this last week.  Typical for me this time of year.  Almost done now.  Never had fever.  My two young kids have had asthma problems in the past during the dry season but this year they have none, so hopefully they are growing out of it.  They have been outside a lot during the afternoons after school, playing hard and riding bikes in the nice warm windy weather, so fingers are crossed that asthma is minor for them going forward.  Anyhow, the point of mentioning this is that I am coughing and sneezing a lot, and I feel a bit self conscious about it when we go out.

We went to the mall last night for early Valentines and only a few were wearing masks.  I suppose now that there is a local PUI everyone will have masks again.

You can get masks on Lazada, Shoppee and Facebook Marketplace.  Quite a few have stock this week.  I received a box of 50 from Lazada a few days ago with another 50 coming from another seller.  Both of those were too expensive at around p15 each but I didn't find any others at the time.  Then on Shoppee I found a them for less than p4 each and ordered 500.  If there is a big need later my family of 5 can go through them quickly.  These are disposable surgical masks and they say they are good for only 8 hours.

N95 masks are better for dust.  Surgical is better for virus.  So say the experts.

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

OnMyWay,  I see nothing in your link that would contradict what I posted, but only quoted certain parts from the study (fictional of course, but a study and pandemic model nonetheless).     Your link did, however, include this, which simply makes it interesting....

'That's particularly true when it comes to vaccine development. The CAPS virus—which Toner describes as a cousin of SARS, "but slightly more transmissible, like the flu, and slightly more lethal"—was presented as resistant to any existing vaccine, as scientists scrambled to come up with one. Citizens, meanwhile, were rioting over scarce access to the next best thing: a fictional antiviral known to treat some CAPS symptoms.

That scenario, Toner says, is utterly realistic. "We don't have a vaccine for SARS, or MERS, or various avian flu viruses that have come up in the past decade," he notes. "That's because vaccine development is slow and difficult if there isn't an immediate market for it."

In no way am I suggesting it's going to be just like this with current virus, but simply that the model does at least raise concerns.   It it weren't so serious, governments would not be suspending flights, quarantining citizens, etc, All with good reason of course, and certainly with hope that it can be contained early on.  Guess we'll see.   Have a good one. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Nickleback99 said:

In no way am I suggesting it's going to be just like this with current virus, but simply that the model does at least raise concerns.   It it weren't so serious, governments would not be suspending flights, quarantining citizens, etc, All with good reason of course, and certainly with hope that it can be contained early on.  Guess we'll see.   Have a good one.

Yes, understand.  My point in linking the study detail was that they presented it as wildly uncontrolled, much different.  So the study may have contributed to decisions being made now by governments and industry to have more controls that reduce the rapid spread of disease.  Travel restrictions are a big one and a necessary evil!

Did you read about the cruise ship that finally was allowed to dock in Cambodia?  No sickness on board but it was refused to dock by 4 Asian countries before Cambodia finally showed some mercy.  A U.S. customer on board was interviewed and said everything is normal on the ship so they are getting an extended cruise.  I assume for free.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, JDDavao said:

All I can contribute to this is that there were four Chinese brothers working on heavier-than-air flight at the time the plane flew at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina and it was learned, very quickly, that four Wongs don't make two Wrights.

But many hands make the light work.

• Haha 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Didn't Manny Hands discover titanium?

I'll show myself out.

• Haha 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, bastonjock said:

The death rate is now over 1400 , and that's what the Chinese are admitting 

1400 with billions to go. Maybe this time mother nature will get her revenge.:unsure:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JDDavao said:

I'll show myself out.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass!:biggrin:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Chinese people drop a bunch of steel pans on the floor of their kitchen when the first child is born. Whatever sound they make is the name of choice.:tongue:

• Haha 1

"P2"
Posted
Posted

Without reading all 28 pages of this thread..... 

My wife and I are planning a 2 week trip there in a couple of months and I am wondering what impact the Coronavirus has had there in the Philippines? Are there a lot of confirmed cases? I'm a little nervous about going there since all of the connecting flights from the U.S. land in either China, Korea or Japan. Just trying to weigh the risks. Can you toss a little advice my way....? Thanks!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, "P2" said:

Without reading all 28 pages of this thread..... 

My wife and I are planning a 2 week trip there in a couple of months and I am wondering what impact the Coronavirus has had there in the Philippines? Are there a lot of confirmed cases? I'm a little nervous about going there since all of the connecting flights from the U.S. land in either China, Korea or Japan. Just trying to weigh the risks. Can you toss a little advice my way....? Thanks!

So far, the Philippines has been faring well with only 3 confirmed cases, and those were quite a while ago.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/252310-suspected-novel-coronavirus-cases-per-region-philippines-february-20-2020

I look at the graphs here for indication of the disease peaking.  Change the graphs to Logarithmic.  Hopefully in a few months the entire event will be settled down.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic