Corona Virus

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think anyone that has lived in the Philippines more than a few months will realise the health service, general organisation and the Government's ability to get on top of things probably means the virus is already out of control here. 

Just last week I was reading an article generally patting themselves on the back for spending a few hundred thousand peso on a camera that detects body temperature.  It had the usual comments section saying how much the senator loved his people , God is great, lets pray etc.   The only problem was the camera is installed on an arrival pier to a main island.  I commented that a better idea would have been to install it on the departure pier so any possible infected people don't spend two hours in close proximity with hundreds more passengers. It never went down well.  How dare I use common sense. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

One thing I did find funny is the Catholic church has closed Lourdes.  You know the place that cures more things than a magic sponge in soccer. :hystery:

FB_IMG_1583494914007.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I think anyone that has lived in the Philippines more than a few months will realise the health service, general organisation and the Government's ability to get on top of things probably means the virus is already out of control here. 

Personally, I think it is out of control everywhere. With an incubation period that is truly unknown but proven to be up to at least 24 days in some cases, including with people who are asymptomatic, it has likely gone everywhere on the planet. The daily discoveries are really just old news because this virus has traveled far and wide before anyone knew it...

Now it is just a matter of time to observe the fallout of this - where it strikes the most and how fast it is seen.

Such is my opinion...

• Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Now it is just a matter of time to observe the fallout of this - where it strikes the most and how fast it is seen.

Such is my opinion...

I really wish I disagreed with you Tommy T.  but I think you're right on target here  :sad:

Edited by GeoffH
  • Sad 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Latest report I just read says one of the recent cases is in San Juan City and another is in Bonafacio, Taguig City.

I am preparing to hunker down...Like all those over 60 or with pre-existing conditions are advised to do in USA.

I'm on the front line here in the UK,  somebody has to keep those amperes flowing to the medical staff , if and when I get the instruction to  start bringing a semi secret hospital back on line , I'll know the shits hitting the fan 

• Sad 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Personally, I think it is out of control everywhere. With an incubation period that is truly unknown but proven to be up to at least 24 days in some cases, including with people who are asymptomatic, it has likely gone everywhere on the planet. The daily discoveries are really just old news because this virus has traveled far and wide before anyone knew it...

Such is my opinion...

Here is a scary thought , if by a slim chance I pick up the virus,  and it takes 24 days to incubate , in 24 days I can in theory have visited as many as 60 separate medical centres  , I could unintentional inflict thousands 

My method to try to combat this is , I've taken to  rubbing my hands and face with sanitiser before I enter a medical centre and after I leave 

Just hope we dont run out of sanitiser

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 2/29/2020 at 10:08 AM, Marvin Boggs said:

So Mike says, if the math holds true, we may see 1.5 million deaths in the US from this thing.

Geoff says, hopefully enough panic early on is giving us a head start fighting it, keeping the numbers far lower than they might have been.  

I believe it was me who first raised the alarm about corona on this forum, and also to warn everyone about the global supply chain situation regarding Chinese goods.  Definitely being prepared and taking precautions is the best thing you can do.  What I'm saying now is -- when its all said and done and the numbers are tallied, will this look any different than a normal flu season?  My prediction is it won't.  Time will tell.  

Personally I have decided not to panic about it.  We stocked up on N99 mask filters, cleaning disinfectants, and consumables supplies that are made in China.  If this really becomes the zombie-apocalypse, then none of that will matter.     

The problems with supply are starting to show ,the first casualty here in the UK has been an airline ( flybe) there will be more airlines bite the dust as the months go on , flight ticket prices are falling , I've seen tickets as low as 425 GB pounds to davao from London 

Theres stuff on the news about supermarket shelves running low on dry and tinned foods and requests from hauliers to Gov for a reduction on restrictions for transport companies to help combat this 

Theres a clip doing the rounds of two women in Australia fighting over a pack of toilet paper 

• Sad 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Theres a clip doing the rounds of two women in Australia fighting over a pack of toilet paper 

I’m so glad I married a Filipino , I know how to use a tabo now, sod the loo paper .

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Here is a very interesting, scientific study of the Corona Virus.  It contains all the usual scientific gobbledygook that most of us do not understand but it contains one piece of VERY good news for the Philippines,  Here is the link to the report and if you scroll down to page 16 of 19 you will see this:

When the temperature was increased to 30℃ and the relative humidity was 35%, the infectious rate was 0

This means, to me, that a large part of the Philippines will escape the worst of the Covid 19 virus.  There will be some transmission because some days are not that hot and because many people congregate in air conditioned malls etc.  But it seems the heat stops it so when you go out with friends . . go out on hot, humid days.  

This also explains why the virus spreads in places like Singapore.  Rich country with lots of air conditioned gathering places.

I believe I mentioned this possibility before but its nice to be able to say . . . I was right.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic