Corona Virus

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

The point I would make is that if I were one of  1% or 2% or however many %... it would matter greatly to me if I died...

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

The point I would make is that if I were one of  1% or 2% or however many %... it would matter greatly to me if I died...

Exactly. The elderly and those with preexisting conditions are at great risk if they contract this virus which the spread seems to be, if I may say, going 'viral'.

• Sad 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

The last I looked at least 13 of the 19 deaths you reference are from a single nursing home for the elderly.  It is not reasonable to extrapolate a death rate for the corona virus as a whole from that single incident.  That being said, it paints a very troubling picture when the virus gets loose in such an environment.  Elderly, infirm people, compromised immune systems, etc packed into a cloistered environment with  being cared for by staff who most likely have little or no medical training.   In such situations it is like dropping a lit match into a tinder box.  The percentage you quote is actually in line with what has already been published.  The death is much higher among the elderly and also those who have existing health problems, far lower for young people and children.  Sad situation indeed, I sympathize with those families who still have loved one in the facility.  :sad:

Which is why I point to the Diamond Princess as a test case.  3700 people, 696 infected, 7 dead.  (That's 1.006% mortality so far Geoff, a lot closer to 1% than 2% wouldn't you say?).  Will continue to follow that later.  But I think its a good test case because presumably only one person was infected when the ship set sail, with plenty of time for the virus to spread around before people took precautions.  If the infectiousness and mortality were as high as some are claiming, we'd see 1500 infected and 50+ deaths.  That ship ought to represent a reasonable cross section of society, with a reasonable mix of temperature and humidity conditions.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

An unidentified student at my sons high school was directly exposed to the virus and is quarantined. Over the weekend the school was "deep cleaned" whatever that means. My son said attendance today was down 50%. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Tell ya what guys.  Anyone who thinks this is just overblown in the media, perhaps you could volunteer to take an injection of Corona Virus as a test case, to help researchers study this virus.  Stay in isolation but prove to the rest of us that its no worse than the flu and your words will carry some real weight.  Any volunteers?

• Haha 2

Mick
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Tell ya what guys.  Anyone who thinks this is just overblown in the media, perhaps you could volunteer to take an injection of Corona Virus as a test case, to help researchers study this virus.  Stay in isolation but prove to the rest of us that its no worse than the flu and your words will carry some real weight.  Any volunteers?

They are offering £3500 in the UK to be infected to study and trial new drugs

• Hmm thinking 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Stand by for a controversial opinion. :shock_40_anim_gif:

I have no fear of death as I've lived a good life and have done pretty much everything that my finances have allowed so playing Devil's Advocate why don't we just give everyone the opportunity to catch it?  

Mother nature can step up to the plate.  It's known that it kills predominantly those in poor health and the old.  What's cutting a few years off of a lifespan of suffering?

We can continue as we are and have everyone panicking and suffering one way or another for years to come and the death rate still increasing or we can let nature take it's course.  Within 6 months to a year everyone will have caught it.  Those immune or in good health will have survived and the virus would then die out on it's own. 

Beds would be freed up in care homes and hospitals and the World would have a chance to start again. 

Stand by for incoming fire. :571b119686cf7_1(72):

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I have no fear of death as I've lived a good life and have done pretty much everything that my finances have allowed so playing Devil's Advocate why don't we just give everyone the opportunity to catch it?  

Snowy... with all due respect, sir. I suggest you step to the front of the line and volunteer. Please let us know how it goes? I have had serious flu before and really would prefer to not die while trying to catch my breath and my entire body in pain.

I am going to be a chicken and hide out until this settles down.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I am going to be a chicken and hide out until this settles down.

A respected Doctor in Australia made the point that co-infection with another virus made things worse.  I have been getting a flu injection each year but this time instead of April I rang up earlier to get one.  There was no stock last week but I just got a phone call and I'm going in this afternoon for an early flu vaccination.   An Australian doctor has gone on record as recommending strongly that people get their flu vaccination this year in particular to reduce their individual risk. *

* being alert but not alarmed and taking reasonable precautions

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Marvin Boggs said:

(That's 1.006% mortality so far Geoff, a lot closer to 1% than 2% wouldn't you say?) <SNIP>

That ship ought to represent a reasonable cross section of society, with a reasonable mix of temperature and humidity conditions.

It is of course a lot closer to 1% than 2% but isn't a reasonable cross section of society IMHO because it doesn't include the very elderly and frail; they wouldn't be well enough to go.  And yes I know there are old people on cruises (I've done 6 of them) but not really 'old needing care facility' aged people.

And because that demographic has a much higher fatality rate (as per the Washington state based nursing home) and are missing from the ship demographic, I would expect the ship % to actually be lower than that of the population overall.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic