Corona Virus

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Snowy... with all due respect, sir. I suggest you step to the front of the line and volunteer. Please let us know how it goes? I have had serious flu before and really would prefer to not die while trying to catch my breath and my entire body in pain.

I am going to be a chicken and hide out until this settles down.

Just playing Devil's Advocate but in reality I have no intentions of changing my daily routine voluntarily.  I'd hazard an educated guess that some restrictions being placed on people have killed more than the virus so far. 

Looking in from the outside cancer will always be a bigger killer and a pretty horrendous way to die but we don't see the WHO calling for an outright ban on smokers mixing with the public or calling on all smokers to lock themselves in a room until they are deemed safe. ( a good idea though) :whistling:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Looking in from the outside cancer will always be a bigger killer

Yes as well as  Dengue and we have a Popular member here on the Forum that has it, Just Discharged from Hospital but still has the Lurgy  :whatever:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Jwe don't see the WHO calling for an outright ban on smokers mixing with the public or calling on all smokers to lock themselves in a room until they are deemed safe. 

It is trending that way in some first world countries though.  Here are just a few of restricting upon smokers that are now law in Australia;

no smoking in any public transport vehicle of any type, no smoking in a private car where a minor is present, no smoking at bus stations or bus stops, no smoking at train stations, phasing out smoking at airports underway (almost no areas now and all outside), no smoking at major sporting events, no smoking on the grounds of a hospital, no smoking within 5 meters of the entrance or doorway to a building in use by the public, no smoking in any federal, state or local government building or vehicle, no smoking within (ummm 10m?) of a childrens play area.

I'm pretty sure there are others but I can't think of them right now...

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Tell ya what guys.  Anyone who thinks this is just overblown in the media, perhaps you could volunteer to take an injection of Corona Virus as a test case, to help researchers study this virus.  Stay in isolation but prove to the rest of us that its no worse than the flu and your words will carry some real weight.  Any volunteers?

Dave an encouraging sign I was watching on  BBC last night. Another so called health expert stated both in China and South Korea the two worst effected countries the virus has plateaued. Further recent evidence suggested both countries are on top of it, lets hope this is correct.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Just playing Devil's Advocate but in reality I have no intentions of changing my daily routine voluntarily.  I'd hazard an educated guess that some restrictions being placed on people have killed more than the virus so far. 

Looking in from the outside cancer will always be a bigger killer and a pretty horrendous way to die but we don't see the WHO calling for an outright ban on smokers mixing with the public or calling on all smokers to lock themselves in a room until they are deemed safe. ( a good idea though) :whistling:

Snowy as a matter of interest, are you taking any precautions at all?  Like extra hand washing? Avoiding crowded ares.... Or totally life as usual?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

Stand by for a controversial opinion. :shock_40_anim_gif:

I have no fear of death as I've lived a good life and have done pretty much everything that my finances have allowed so playing Devil's Advocate why don't we just give everyone the opportunity to catch it?  

Mother nature can step up to the plate.  It's known that it kills predominantly those in poor health and the old.  What's cutting a few years off of a lifespan of suffering?

We can continue as we are and have everyone panicking and suffering one way or another for years to come and the death rate still increasing or we can let nature take it's course.  Within 6 months to a year everyone will have caught it.  Those immune or in good health will have survived and the virus would then die out on it's own. 

Beds would be freed up in care homes and hospitals and the World would have a chance to start again. 

Stand by for incoming fire. :571b119686cf7_1(72):

I am reminded of the age old saying; "Everyone wants to go to Heaven, but no one wants to go right now".   Human beings, for the most part, are hard wired to hang on to  life as long as possible.  

• Like 3

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

It is of course a lot closer to 1% than 2% but isn't a reasonable cross section of society IMHO because it doesn't include the very elderly and frail; they wouldn't be well enough to go.  And yes I know there are old people on cruises (I've done 6 of them) but not really 'old needing care facility' aged people.

And because that demographic has a much higher fatality rate (as per the Washington state based nursing home) and are missing from the ship demographic, I would expect the ship % to actually be lower than that of the population overall.

But as long as we are spitballing, maybe the school-age demographic was under-represented as well.  I've never been on a cruise ship.  

Heard a very smart-sounding individual the other day saying essentially this:  "No matter what the mortality turns out to be, its clear that the vast majority impact will be on older people.  So we should be concentrating efforts and resources on that demographic."  Again, common sense.  But common sense is missing at the moment, everyone running around like chickens.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

we don't see the WHO calling for an outright ban on smokers mixing with the public or calling on all smokers to lock themselves in a room until they are deemed safe. ( a good idea though)

In parts of Washington State (where I hail from) smoking has been outlawed in all public venues. It was wonderful - last time there two + years ago - to go into a bar and have a beer and bacon cheeseburger without smoke! I hope it becomes a world trend.

I see your point...

But you might say that it is highly unlikely that I will "catch" cancer by sharing a bar with a smoker one time? Much more likely to catch flu or Wuhan Flu while sitting next to a contagious person? Agreed?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, RBM said:

Snowy as a matter of interest, are you taking any precautions at all?  Like extra hand washing? Avoiding crowded ares.... Or totally life as usual?

Life as usual and I live in probably the biggest tourist area in the Philippines.  Hitting the gym most nights and picking up weights that a few sweaty Chinese, Koreans and Japanese have used. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Life as usual and I live in probably the biggest tourist area in the Philippines.  Hitting the gym most nights and picking up weights that a few sweaty Chinese, Koreans and Japanese have used. 

And are you over 60 years old?

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic