Corona Virus

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

And are you over 60 years old?

55 but I spent 24yrs in the military and even when younger was put in a few life or death situations that I could have got out of but I've honestly never feared death.  It's one thing we can't escape.  Just enjoy your life it death comes calling so be it. 

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

Life as usual and I live in probably the biggest tourist area in the Philippines.  Hitting the gym most nights and picking up weights that a few sweaty Chinese, Koreans and Japanese have used. 

What are you doing different now to decrease your odds, if anything ? Wearing lifting gloves or sweatshirt and long pants ? Using rubbing alcohol or that Pur-a-stuff on your paws now and then, or just taking your chances with business as usual ?

I haven't been to my gym since 10 Dec., due to my right hand's nervous system failure to give me  feedback on my grip pressure..... buts its recovered enough to type a bit now... and I'm wondering what I will see at the gyms when I go back. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Further recent evidence suggested both countries are on top of it, lets hope this is correct.

Well that my be a shame.  I was starting to  warm up to Smokeys "Devil's Advocate"  theory.  I recently sold my house so I am looking around and thinking I may invest in another one.  If 30% of the old codger homeowners die off then the market will be flooded and I can buy one cheap.  In addition, Canada and the US have lowered interest rates to stimulate the economy.  Double Plus for people with the cash to buy!

(How's that for playing Devil's Advocate?)

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

What are you doing different now to decrease your odds, if anything ? Wearing lifting gloves or sweatshirt and long pants ? Using rubbing alcohol or that Pur-a-stuff on your paws now and then, or just taking your chances with business as usual ?

I haven't been to my gym since 10 Dec., due to my right hand's nervous system failure to give me  feedback on my grip pressure..... buts its recovered enough to type a bit now... and I'm wondering what I will see at the gyms when I go back. 

Nothing different at all.  Still walking the beach.  Eating in fast food restaurants and all you can eat buffets.  I'm not a pub goer so tend to avoid that lifestyle. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

55 but I spent 24yrs in the military and even when younger was put in a few life or death situations that I could have got out of but I've honestly never feared death.  It's one thing we can't escape.  Just enjoy your life it death comes calling so be it. 

First off, I thank you for your military service.:tiphat:

However, I am just not as sanguine with my outlook. I have lived, mostly, a positive life, so far. Sure, pitfalls and hassles now and then, but mostly okay. And I would prefer to live another 20 + years if that will be possible. So I am not taking what I see as unnecessary chances. Why take a risk that I can minimize or avoid?

Yeah... I have done my share of profoundly stupid things. I don't even want to think about some of those times now. But I took those chances before I turned 40. For some reason, I figured out that I was not immortal about when I turned 40. After that, preservation of life and quality of life took over for me. So to walk into a mall or bar or wherever people are likely infected with a deadly and highly contagious illness??? Pass...

I do not mean to sound sarcastic, Snowy... but I just don't follow your logic. From what you say, if you were waiting to cross a street and a big truck or bus came along, would you just step in front of it or would you wait until it passed? Or even step back a bit?

Life is fleeting and very short. Death is forever - at least in my view.  So I am in no rush to go there.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If 30% of the old codger homeowners die off then the market will be flooded and I can buy one cheap.

Assuming you are not one of them, Dave?:89:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I do not mean to sound sarcastic, Snowy... but I just don't follow your logic. From what you say, if you were waiting to cross a street and a big truck or bus came along, would you just step in front of it or would you wait until it passed? Or even step back a bit?

Life is fleeting and very short. Death is forever - at least in my view.  So I am in no rush to go there.

No offence taken I just look on life as a journey.  I don't look on the coronavirus as something that requires me to change my lifestyle to one that would make me less happy.  In my mind I'd be as well dead.  Obviously I wouldn't go stepping out in front of a truck as that might just injure me and not kill me :hystery: I also wouldn't go up to someone with coronavirus and stick my tongue down their throat.  

There's enough things going on with rabies, dengue, filipino drivers etc that if you worry you'd lock yourself inside a room.  Life for me is to live not to exist and when my time is up then so be it. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

But you might say that it is highly unlikely that I will "catch" cancer by sharing a bar with a smoker one time? Much more likely to catch flu or Wuhan Flu while sitting next to a contagious person? Agreed?

Isn't that kinda like asking if my chances of dying from a lightning strike are greater than by a kick from a donkey?  Both are unlikely in the extreme so does it really matter?  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

So to walk into a mall or bar or wherever people are likely infected with a deadly and highly contagious illness??? Pass...

Likely infected...deadly...highly contagious - rather alarmist vocabulary Tom. :wink:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Isn't that kinda like asking if my chances of dying from a lightning strike are greater than by a kick from a donkey?  Both are unlikely in the extreme so does it really matter?  

Perhaps... The chance of getting struck by lightning (in USA) in any given year is 1 in 700,000. The chance of getting struck by lightning in one's lifetime is approximately  1 in 3,000. I could not find statistics about people killed by donkey kicks...

Nobody knows the chance of catching the Wuhan Flu. But, once caught, the chance of dying for someone over 60 is, what, 7% or so? I am sorry, I have not reviewed the statistic that Mike J or someone posted last week.

So I do not carry a steel frame umbrella out in a thunderstorm. I stay away from the asses of asses as much as possible - easy so long as I don't go to a farm. And I will minimize venturing to malls on crowded sale days (like last weekend), wear a mask when in places with crowds, avoid crowded restaurants and I don't go to bars anyway, like Snowy, either.

So, in reality, my life really does not change much at all. I am willing to put up with some relatively minor inconveniences if they might help me live another 20+ years...

Edited by Tommy T.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic