Corona Virus

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Positive results for the virus has shot up to 24 today so I think we can safely say we the cat is out of the bag and we will find out soon enough how deadly it is in the Philippines. 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Correction make that 35 now. :ohmy:

• Sad 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just came up on the newsfeed they are putting 24hr checkpoints up in Angeles to screen foreigners.  A few foreign citizens are now banned including Italians. 

https://www.facebook.com/notes/city-information-office-angeles-city/24-hr-checkpoints-set-up-in-ac-to-monitor-foreigners/3074108925941851/

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

This video is by Dr John Campbell from the UK and it makes a number of interesting points about the importance of Vitamin D in reducing Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and in fact respiratory infection occurance and severity.  Given the prevelance of ARDS in people infected with COVID-19 I thought was timely.  Some of his other videos are more COVID-19 specific and some members might be interested in those as well.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not to worry.  Filipino Scientists are here!

NOW we will get to the bottom of this silly virus!

Edit:  And one more thing that crosses my mnd.  Where are the homeless people supposed to self-quarantine themselves?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

Jack D
Posted
Posted
On 1/23/2020 at 2:16 AM, JamesD said:

Thanks God that those people are being determined and wont spread here in our country.

Nice thought!... but

"2 quarantined at New Clark City test positive for coronavirus as total hits 33."

and

"Philippines declares health emergency amid fears of community spread of coronavirus"

https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2019/8/20/Philippines-coronavirus-cases.html

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/coronavirus-philippines-declares-health-emergency-amid-fears-of-community-spread

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

The figures today that have come out of Italy are a concern 

Whilst the figures coming out of china may be suspect, I feel Italian figures to be more truthful 

Of the 10,149 confirmed cases there have been 631 deaths

That's about 6 % 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bastonjock said:

The figures today that have come out of Italy are a concern 

Whilst the figures coming out of china may be suspect, I feel Italian figures to be more truthful 

Of the 10,149 confirmed cases there have been 631 deaths

That's about 6 % 

Agreed.  And here are the total numbers from the John Hopkins site.  118,101 confirmed worldwide, with 4,262 deaths.  That equates to a fatality rate of 3.06%.  You may be correct that China was not reporting the whole story.   

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Edited by Mike J
Added URL for John Hopkins data page
  • Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

You may be correct that China was not reporting the whole story

Or China may have been correct by quarantining everyone and putting people in jail if they do not follow the rules.  Communist countries can do that.  The rest of us, with more freedom, will have a higher transmission rate which may (will in my opinion) equate to a higher mortality rate.  

• Like 5

RBM
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Hobbit112 said:

Chest infection can be caused by viral or bacterial infection.  What percentage caused by viral????

Vitamin  D is produced by being in the sun.  I seem to remember 15 minutes in the sun per day satisfied your Vitamin D requirement for a day.  

You have to be careful with fat soluble vitamins, you can overdose with them if you are not careful as they are stored in fat and not readily excreted.

Yes and especially this time of the year no excuse for not getting 15 minutes of sun.

I was struck down by a sever chest infection recently, 1 month laid up requiring unfortunately antibiotics. One of the reasons was interested in this video, wonder if there is a simple blood test to check ones Vitamin D level. 

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic