Corona Virus

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Are you talking about the "Buy one week - stay 2 additional weeks for free" bargain?

Cruise ship business has plummeted.  I heard that some of them are trying of drum up business by including free burial at sea and an on-board wake, if you need it.

• Haha 5

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Metro Manila quarantine from March 15- April 12. City wide lock down when there's more than 2 cases in 2 different barangays. I imagine that's all the cities in Metro Manila or will be soon.

https://gulfnews.com/travel/duterte-places-metro-manila-under-lockdown-1.70342223

Dubai: Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has placed the national capital region or Metro Manila, composed of 16 cities and one municipality, under lockdown for one month to contain the spread of the deadly novel coronavirus (Covid-19) in the Philippines.

Duterte declared the suspension of domestic travel to and from Metro Manila from March 15 until April 14.

At least 12 million Filipinos residing in Manila, Quezon City, Caloocan, Las Piñas, Makati, Malabon, Mandaluyong, Marikina, Muntinlupa, Navotas, Parañaque, Pasay, Pasig, San Juan, Taguig, and Valenzuela, as well as the municipality of Pateros will be affected by the lockdown.

Duterte made the announcement via live social media broadcast on Thursday, after announcing the coronavirus alert level in the Philippines has been raised to Code Red Sublevel 2, where there is evidence of community transmission.

Duterte also suspended classes in all school levels and government work in the executive branch for one month or until April 12.
The move follows confirmation on Saturday of the Philippines’ first domestic transmission of the virus, which has killed two people there and infected 53.
Duterte was tested for the new coronavirus on Thursday, officials said, as key government buildings were being disinfected over an exposure scare. The Philippines has seen a jump this week in cases, including people who recently attended events with Senate lawmakers and government officials, potentially exposing them.

The Senate building and Philippine central bank were undergoing cleaning, and several officials announced they would isolate themselves as a precaution.

Duterte, who at 74 is in a vulnerable age group for the virus, underwent testing because he has been in regular contact with some of those officials.

Edited by Mike J
Added news source
  • Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Just read, first case confirmed in Mindanao.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Late yesterday afternoon, City of Davao declared all schools to be closed, starting today. L went to work for certain errands but only some students who need to take exams. Fortunately, someone saw this coming and they scheduled exams earlier before end of school year in a few weeks, so little harm done to students.

Also there were advisories similar to what I've read elsewhere - avoid crowds, stay home, don't go to church or mosque services. So I am laying low and will go out sometimes if I need something, but it's definitely full time mask time when anywhere but the apartment or inside the car. Glad I already had toilet paper (recent routine run to S & R), hand sanitizer, and I also stocked up on staple foods last week. Avoidance to exposure seems like the best bet.

But I also read just the title of a news story - but not the entire thing - that says something to the effect of "new research" finds that the virus can be in the air for 3 hours and survive on plastic surfaces for "days." If true, that might go a long way toward explaining one reason how this bug is spreading so far and wide so quickly?

And I am watching my IRA's and other investments dropping precipitously. I know they will eventually come back up... and I have no solvency issues for a long time, but.... hate to see those years of gains wiped out so suddenly and deeply...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Just came across this interesting story. This Italian doctor claims a death rate of 6% in Italy right now.... Oh really?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/voices/young-and-unafraid-of-the-pandemic-good-for-you-now-stop-killing-people/ar-BB113BXB?li=BBnb7Kz

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Tommy if I HAD and IRA I think I would have leveraged it at least 30% in gold about two years ago.  The signs have been building for longer than that.  Sucks being poor. 

A tip of the hat to local malls and businesses, who seem to be taking their own sanitization measures.  I've been really impressed in the last two weeks.  

- Saw some mall girls at the bottom of each escalator applying sanitizer to the hand rails as they rolled by, continually

- The temp checks and hand sanitizer available upon entry into the malls

- McDonalds girl wiping down the order touch-screen with sanitizer between customers

- A lot of businesses with sanitizer available as you walk in, etc.  

It occurs to me that jeepney's are naturally sanitized by all the noxious fumes they emit:thumbsup:

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

Duterte made the announcement via live social media broadcast on Thursday, after announcing the coronavirus alert level in the Philippines has been raised to Code Red Sublevel 2, where there is evidence of community transmission.

Can anybody throw a light on Code Red Sublevel 2 meaning.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, RBM said:

Code Red Sublevel 2 meaning

https://www.femalenetwork.com/lifestyle/health-wellness/coronavirus-code-red-meaning-20200309

What does "Code Red" mean? 

The DOH has clarified that Code Red (Alert Level 4), Sublevel-1 "is a preemptive call to ensure that national and local governments and public and private health care providers can prepare for [the] possible increase in suspected and confirmed cases."

The government adds, "With Code Red, the DOH has recommended to the Office of the President for the declaration of a State of Public Health Emergency which will facilitate mobilization of resources, ease processes, including procurement of critical logistics and supplies, and intensifying reporting."

Code Red Sublevel-1 means that it's important to postpone any unnecessary travel and to reschedule any even or mass gathering to a later date. Health Secretary Francisco Duque III also noted in a previous bulletin that "it is our individual responsibility to protect ourselves and the people around us." 

The Code Red level will be raised to Sublevel-2 if "there are established community transmissions and unlinked clusters of cases," according to Health Secretary Francisco Duque III in a report by ABS-CBN. Sublevel-2 can trigger suspension of classes and work, as well as community quarantines

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

- Saw some mall girls at the bottom of each escalator applying sanitizer to the hand rails as they rolled by, continually

- The temp checks and hand sanitizer available upon entry into the malls

- McDonalds girl wiping down the order touch-screen with sanitizer between customers

- A lot of businesses with sanitizer available as you walk in, etc.  

That is good to see. However, just make sure to look at the alcohol percentage on their bottles.

On a recent trip to relatives in the province, I noticed a bottle that several were using. When checking the label I noted that it was 40% alcohol - almost half the concentration it is supposed to be to be effective. The family really had no clue - just buying it blindly because it is called hand sanitizer.

Hopefully they are using the right stuff out in public. A few places I have been carried the good stuff, but I have not been going out so much now so don't know if they are all aware of the difference...hope so.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

40% alcohol - almost half the concentration it is supposed to be to be effective

I learned something today, and its only 8:30!  Good to know

• Thanks 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic