Corona Virus

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I learned something today, and its only 8:30!  Good to know

I forgot to mention that the concentration is supposed to be 70% or above....sorry.

Okay.... please deposit 100 pesos into my numbered Swiss bank account?

Edited by Tommy T.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I forgot to mention that the concentration is supposed to be 70% or above....sorry.

Okay.... please deposit 100 pesos into my numbered Swiss bank account?

Only if you buy gold with it :)

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Only if you buy gold with it :)

Deal... But there won't be much gold for 100 pesos... .0013 oz? if my math is correct.:ohmy:

Gary D
Posted
Posted

So does that mean all flights into and out are suspended.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Gary D said:

So does that mean all flights into and out are suspended.

Here comes the travel bans....

Avoid getting stuck somewhere you don't want to be, friends and neighbors...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

This news report supports some of HK's and Marvin's posts about not going too far with prognostications. Another interesting - and short article that might be of interest:

A new study in The Lancet medical journal published Wednesday found that the novel coronavirus lived in the respiratory tracts of some patients for more than five weeks. Some of the patients received antiviral medications but the drugs did not appear to shorten the virus's lifespan.

The 19 doctors who authored the study analyzed the medical records of 191 patients in China (135 from Jinyintan Hospital and 56 from Wuhan Pulmonary Hospital), including the demographic, clinical, treatment and laboratory data of 137 coronavirus patients who were discharged and 54 patients who died in the hospital. 

They found that the virus was present in the bodies of patients with severe disease status for an average of 19 days, and inside the bodies of patients with critical disease status for an average of 24 days. Overall, the virus was detected for an average of 20 days in patients who were eventually discharged from the hospital. In the respiratory tracts of patients who died, coronavirus was detectable until death.

The shortest length of time the virus lived in the respiratory tract of a survivor was eight days. And perhaps most shocking of all, in some cases, the virus persisted for as long as 37 days. 

"This has important implications for both patient isolation decision making and guidance around the length of antiviral treatment," the authors of the study concluded.

For weeks, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been advising Americans who traveled to one of the virus's epicenters or who may have been otherwise exposed to self-quarantine for 14 days. Does this study suggest the risk could persist longer? Well, not necessarily.

CBS News medical contributor Dr. David Agus says using this study's findings to extrapolate how long a person might be contagious is probably taking it a step too far.

"This is an important study to understand the medical course of patients who have symptomatic cases of Covid-19 infection," he said in an email. "I would be very cautious to use these data to quantify periods of being infectious. This information has yet to be determined definitively."

In other words, the professionals still really do not know s*** about this virus. That is the scariest part to me.

And yet another interesting article just found actually seems to be the most informative and answers a lot of my questions. But it is too long to copy here. But the link:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/you-asked-us-tons-of-questions-about-the-coronavirus-we-answered-them/ar-BB1165Sh?li=BBnba9O

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

In other words, the professionals still really do not know s*** about this virus. That is the scariest part to me.

Well the info is certainly flying fast and furious.  Must weed through the different points of view to reach a reasoned perspective IMHO.  I wish they would say "we don't really know" rather than "we're all gonna die!"  

Yesterday I was WeChatting with a colleague in Shanghai who had been locked down during the crisis.  She has been back at work for about 2 weeks.  We were discussing masks and sanitizer, and I asked her what were the hardest things for her to find.  She answered: instant noodles, yeast, flour, and cooking ingredients.  Also that some people had difficulty finding rice, but not her personally. 

I suspect most people on this forum trend more toward bulk buying than the average Filipino.   

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Well the info is certainly flying fast and furious.  Must weed through the different points of view to reach a reasoned perspective IMHO.  I wish they would say "we don't really know" rather than "we're all gonna die!"  

Yesterday I was WeChatting with a colleague in Shanghai who had been locked down during the crisis.  She has been back at work for about 2 weeks.  We were discussing masks and sanitizer, and I asked her what were the hardest things for her to find.  She answered: instant noodles, yeast, flour, and cooking ingredients.  Also that some people had difficulty finding rice, but not her personally. 

I suspect most people on this forum trend more toward bulk buying than the average Filipino.   

I agree with all of that, Marvin. Americans are into buying bulk toilet paper... must be a lot of a******s to wipe?:shock_40_anim_gif:

Yeah... I laugh when shopping with L. She typically buys just enough food for the next couple of meals, then will shop again in a day or two for more. Having lived on the yacht, I am more commonly used to buying 1-3 months worth of durable foods like rice, pasta, canned foods... Now I split the difference and have about 5-6 weeks of most items here. But, of course, fresh vegetables won't last longer than a couple of weeks mostly. Ummmm canned asparagus! lovely!

Good to hear that your colleague is apparently okay there. That gives me and others hope!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

This news report supports some of HK's and Marvin's posts about not going too far with prognostications.

Tom, none of us are experts (as far as I know) and even the experts are not so expert which is why I have not commented much on this topic other than to swat you down with your doomsday scenarios!  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Tom, none of us are experts (as far as I know) and even the experts are not so expert which is why I have not commented much on this topic other than to swat you down with your doomsday scenarios!  :tongue:

I always feel you are waiting in the wings here....ready to pounce! But that's okay... you are polite and gentlemanly (mostly) about that.:1927_:

And, besides, my last was not so much doomsday... It was Fried-Day!:smile:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic