Corona Virus

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is another one of those times - I want to post extreme fear and also like for your post. So I made it like... but I really do not like it... Maybe you can tell them - if you want it fixed so badly... maybe YOU can go in and deal with it?

Of course, that is not practical... but those are my thought processes here...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Duterte declares nationwide ‘State of Calamity’ due to Corona Virus.

————————————-

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has placed the entire Philippines under state of calamity following his declaration of enhanced community quarantine in Luzon due to the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic.

In Proclamation 929 signed by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea on March 16, 2020, Duterte said the state of calamity will be for a period of six months, "unless earlier lifted or extended as circumstances may warrant."

The declaration was proposed by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council pursuant to Republic Act 10121, or the Philippine Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Act of 2010, noting that despite government interventions, the number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the country continues to rise.

As of March 17, the Department of Health (DOH) announced a total of 187 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the country. Of the number, 12 patients had died, including the couple who was considered the first cases of local transmission.

With the state of calamity declaration, the National Government and local government units (LGUs) can now utilize appropriate funds, including the Quick Response Fund, in their disaster preparedness and response efforts to contain the spread of Covid-19.

They can also use the funds to continue to provide basic services to the affected population.

Duterte said all government agencies and LGUs are directed to render full assistance, cooperate with each other, and mobilize necessary resources to undertake critical, urgent and appropriate disaster response aid and measures in a timely manner to curtail and eliminate the threat of Covid-19.

He also ordered all law enforcement agencies, with the support from the Armed Forces of the Philippines, to undertake all necessary measures to ensure peace and order in affected areas, with the enhanced community quarantine imposed throughout Luzon from March 17 to April 12.

"Under Section 15, Article 2 of the Philippine Constitution, it is the State's policy to protect and promote the right to health of the people," Proclamation 929 stated.

Earlier, Duterte issued Proclamation 922, series of 2020, declaring a state of public health emergency throughout the Philippines due to Covid-19.

He also announced that the code alert system for Covid-19 was raised to Code Alert Sublevel 2 in accordance with the recommendation of the DOH and the Inter-Agency Task Force for Emerging Infectious Disease. (LMY/SunStar Philippines)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

A lot of discussion about fatality rates, severe versus mild, etc.  I found this on Wiki and it sort of "feels like" the numbers may reflect reality.  Keep in mind these are "confirmed cases".  No way to know how many had mild symptoms and just rode it out without seeing a doctor or being tested.

520px-Severity-of-coronavirus-cases-in-C

• Thanks 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

A lot of discussion about fatality rates, severe versus mild, etc.  I found this on Wiki and it sort of "feels like" the numbers may reflect reality.  Keep in mind these are "confirmed cases".  No way to know how many had mild symptoms and just rode it out without seeing a doctor or being tested.

520px-Severity-of-coronavirus-cases-in-C

I just saw Dr. Marty Makary of John Hopkins University on TV and he said they have a new study indicates that 86% of cases are undetected.  50,000 to 500,000 people may already have it in the U.S.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I just saw Dr. Marty Makary of John Hopkins University on TV and he said they have a new study indicates that 86% of cases are undetected.  50,000 to 500,000 people may already have it in the U.S.

So to perhaps extrapolate this a bit too far? I just had a moderate head/chest cold about two weeks ago... Perhaps that was the virus already here? So many unknowns...

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

... Making the actual mortality quite a bit lower that people think.  Here is a really excellent article just out today, discussing statistics and the 'unknowns'.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-fiasco-in-the-making-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-takes-hold-we-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

Here's a piece of it, worth reading the whole thing:

If we assume that case fatality rate among individuals infected by SARS-CoV-2 is 0.3% in the general population — a mid-range guess from my Diamond Princess analysis — and that 1% of the U.S. population gets infected (about 3.3 million people), this would translate to about 10,000 deaths. This sounds like a huge number, but it is buried within the noise of the estimate of deaths from “influenza-like illness.” If we had not known about a new virus out there, and had not checked individuals with PCR tests, the number of total deaths due to “influenza-like illness” would not seem unusual this year. At most, we might have casually noted that flu this season seems to be a bit worse than average. The media coverage would have been less than for an NBA game between the two most indifferent teams.

Some worry that the 68 deaths from Covid-19 in the U.S. as of March 16 will increase exponentially to 680, 6,800, 68,000, 680,000 … along with similar catastrophic patterns around the globe. Is that a realistic scenario, or bad science fiction? How can we tell at what point such a curve might stop?

The most valuable piece of information for answering those questions would be to know the current prevalence of the infection in a random sample of a population and to repeat this exercise at regular time intervals to estimate the incidence of new infections. Sadly, that’s information we don’t have.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

8 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

... Making the actual mortality quite a bit lower that people think.  Here is a really excellent article just out today, discussing statistics and the 'unknowns'.

That is informative and interesting, Marvin. Thanks for posting it.

However, it does not change my personal stance or opinion. Starting two days ago, I have self-quarantined just to be sure. I reckon a few weeks or so of social isolation might be well worth the opportunity to continue to live and breathe and also post annoying comments here on the forum...:smile: My life...my choice.... Not meaning to belittle your post or comments...

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

0-02-01-4c480011c2fdf5dc7a3f80c2fc9992ce7430fc6ad516742b2673379701eafa20_1c6d9d9cf71460.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

That is informative and interesting, Marvin. Thanks for posting it.

However, it does not change my personal stance or opinion. Starting two days ago, I have self-quarantined just to be sure. I reckon a few weeks or so of social isolation might be well worth the opportunity to continue to live and breathe and also post annoying comments here on the forum...:smile: My life...my choice.... Not meaning to belittle your post or comments...

Understood, Tom, everyone has to take measures they feel are right.  I don't need to leave home to catch the virus, we have workers showing up every day :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Understood, Tom, everyone has to take measures they feel are right.  I don't need to leave home to catch the virus, we have workers showing up every day :whistling:

Stay safe, Marvin! Best to you!

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic