Corona Virus

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

And the average age of those who died is 80.  Italy has the highest population of old folks in Europe.

Not anymore. :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Almost 30,000 new cases yesterday and daily rate of new cases is climbing exponentially.   By tomorrow the total number of case will exceed 250K.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Mike J said:

By tomorrow the total number of case will exceed 250K.

and 98% of them will recover :thumbsup: 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, scott h said:

and 98% of them will recover :thumbsup: 

Let's hope that 98% continues to hold, but I would not be surprised to see that daily rate of new cases hit 50,000 by the end of the month.   If the medical facilities collapse under the increased patient load (like Italy for example) the fatality rate could rise quite a bit. :sad:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike J said:

Let's hope that 98% continues to hold, but I would not be surprised to see that daily rate of new cases hit 50,000 by the end of the month.   If the medical facilities collapse under the increased patient load (like Italy for example) the fatality rate could rise quite a bit:sad:

If any major regional medical care system collapses here is the States, the fatality rate will definitely increase.  And I think unfortunately, the recovery rate will decrease?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I had a thought today - I know once in a great while that happens. :tongue:

Just as the 9-11 event in the USA changed the way we travel with more stringent security checks, I think this pandemic will also have a permanent effect on future travel.  I would be willing to bet that most countries will implement some type program to screen for illness when flying, and especially when entering the country.  Those with elevated temperature or other signs of illness will be denying entry or placed in mandatory quarantine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Jake said:

And I think unfortunately, the recovery rate will decrease?

It will among folks our age,,,,bad luck for us...…….

25 minutes ago, Mike J said:

(like Italy for example) 

What is not being told, is that Italy is a mess, they have been a mess since WW2 (61 governments since then). Their health care is dang near non existence. Their unemployment rate is stable at 10% over the last 20 years. Their culture is very similar to the Filipino Culture where there are multi generational house holds.....so young tour guide gets the virus from a Chinese tourist, brings it home to grandma and :Zap: grandma gets the virus.....and like the Philippines no money to go the the doctor,,,,guess what happens. 

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, scott h said:

It will among folks our age,,,,bad luck for us...…….

What is not being told, is that Italy is a mess, they have been a mess since WW2 (61 governments since then). Their health care is dang near non existence. Their unemployment rate is stable at 10% over the last 20 years. Their culture is very similar to the Filipino Culture where there are multi generational house holds.....so young tour guide gets the virus from a Chinese tourist, brings it home to grandma and :Zap: grandma gets the virus.....and like the Philippines no money to go the the doctor,,,,guess what happens. 

A bit like Spain who are also well up the league table. Looks like a trend developing.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I had a thought today - I know once in a great while that happens. :tongue:

Just as the 9-11 event in the USA changed the way we travel with more stringent security checks, I think this pandemic will also have a permanent effect on future travel.  I would be willing to bet that most countries will implement some type program to screen for illness when flying, and especially when entering the country.  Those with elevated temperature or other signs of illness will be denying entry or placed in mandatory quarantine. 

This crisis is almost guaranteed to curtail freedoms, just like 9-11 unfortunately.  I look for it to be a push on Real-ID, travel restrictions, gun restrictions -- basically, anything they can get.  Just look at the censoring of social platforms and news that is already taking place.  Once they get rid of cash currency, it will be time for the chip in the back of your hand.  Tinfoil hat time. 

I wish I was joking! 

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Philippines hospitals heading for the shitter already when they supposedly only have 200 cases:
https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/03/20/20/we-feel-were-on-our-own-ph-hospitals-appeal-to-govt-for-help-in-covid-19-fight?fbclid=IwAR1AU-bQ8FpDnOWz4qJdnC6TkvBbRDBgEJcD4Sj6WzNHPHlI50TJxG1RkgE

17 dead, 8 recovered. I think I'll just take my chances at home if I get it:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic