Corona Virus

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, scott h said:

and 98% of them will recover

I doubt that very much.  The death rate for resolved cases is growing every day.  Last time I posted it was about 8%.  The source is reputable.  Lots more testing going on in the last couple of weeks but still . . .

closed.jpg

So 10% worldwide deaths for all closed cases.  I see the reasons to stay optimistic and make excuses for this growing number but I support the world governments who are taking it seriously and shutting things down until this percentage starts going the other way.

Self isolate, stay calm, enjoy your own company and don't worry about whether 1% or 10% is the final number.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

17 dead, 8 recovered. I think I'll just take my chances at home if I get it:biggrin:

Me too... after being inside several of them it looks to me like you are likely to come out in worst shape than when you enter...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I see the reasons to stay optimistic

If a person is young, or if older in fairly good health IMO there is every reason to be optimistic. But no reason to be fool hardy (see the articles about the kids on spring break in Florida :571c66d400c8c_1(103):)  If a person I in poor health the chances are poor, stay indoors and screen all visitors.

If a person is young or in good health they need to be cautious because they can give it to grandma and not even know they have it. 

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalitie
  • Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Me too... after being inside several of them it looks to me like you are likely to come out in worst shape than when you enter...

Sage advice based on what I've heard about PH hospitals

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

There was an interesting news item today about possible treatments...

It follows on something I saw a few weeks ago and posted about - the anti-malaria drug quinolone. Suddenly some "experts" must have seen the earlier reports and are now interested. It has tested well in some lab tests. If I were somewhere it was available and I were very sick, I would do everything possible to give it a try. If it didn't work, well...so far nothing else seems to work now, does it? I prefer to take my chances. It has proven safe in other uses so what's the harm except to me?

I already tried to get some here and it is selectively available, but requires a doctor's scrip... good luck finding one who might do that.

There are some reports from China about some possible treatments also, but I am not so trusting yet...

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I already tried to get some here and it is selectively available, but requires a doctor's scrip.

I take it every day:  "Quinine is also the ingredient in tonic water that gives it its bitter taste."

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I take it every day:  "Quinine is also the ingredient in tonic water that gives it its bitter taste."

So maybe I should change my beverage of choice from Tanduay to gin and tonics?:89:

• Haha 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Fictionally reporting now from a still secret 1950's bunker network build by the WW II Japanese and taken over by US liberating forces but kept under wraps for clandestine project development by a cabal of international scientists of unknown affiliation. 

I had  beached the small family fishing bangka on an un-populated volcanic isle, while out snorkeling, to roast a few fish on the sole patch of sand I had spotted. That was when my dog took off after something in the heavy tropical undergrowth and I had to chase after him.

Up a nearby slope I came to an old landslide talus pitch. The dog was there, barking into a nearby ravine wash that had been sluiced by recent rains. That was where I discovered my entry into the now buried and underground complex.

I won't bore you with all the details, but the skeletal remains of those buried alive were strew about their technological apparatus. I then discovered the records of  their undertaking. "PROJECT WELLS".

After living  through two cataclysmic man-made wars, and facing the threat of a new, even greater nuclear holocaust, they had embarked on a quixotic quest to build a Time Machine....... and had apparently succeeded, according the the remnant record logs.

H.G. Wells had been more than a sci-fi visionary, as they had hoped. He had done the impossible but the world wasn't ready for it, so he passed it off as fiction. They had managed to duplicate the physics break through's he had accomplished during his Victorian era...... visited the future and verified his incredible tale.

According to the PROJECT WELLS logs:

The beginning of humanity's great divide began with the Wuhan virus pandemic of  late 2019-2020.

The ancestors of the carefree, sybaritic Eloi had been those who were going to the beaches, large group prayer rallies, concerts, etc  despite the warnings.  After the Grim Reaper had winnowed the survivors, only a few hardy  idiots and True Believer cultist survived. Most of the Deniers had perished. Those left alive became peasant serfs and eventually human livestock for the...

Morlocks.   The ancestors of the Morlock at the time, were know as the TPers, or toilet paper hoarders. Other cults, like the 'Preppers', PFRs (paranoid filthy rich), Pluto's (plutocrats with political power) also managed to make it through the demographic bottleneck.

The  ancestral Morlock humanoids were noted for their sociopathic lack of empathy, ultra-selfishness and anti-social tendencies that their genetically predisposed variance, coupled with stress-related environmental triggers, came to flourish and predominate.  They always existed, but now had unrestricted free rein. They became the dominant, unchecked human predators of the more benignly socialized remaining tribes of humans.

The logs continue with their time travel exploits, and they were apparently in conference about how to prevent this future from occurring in mankind's future when they were buried alive.

The Project, and maybe the Great Hope for a different future, may have died with them.

We probably will never know, since our lives are of limited future duration.

And so I'm sitting here, hoping for best.  Its been a mix of encouragement and dismay so far, and the balance scale is still teetering up and down.              :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:         :rain_80_anim_gif:      :5590:      

• Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

So maybe I should change my beverage of choice from Tanduay to gin and tonics

Gin and tonic is a drink first invented by the army of the British East India Company in the 1700s, almost by chance. As malaria became more of a threat to the Empire, soldiers were given doses of quinine powder to prevent and treat the disease.

So if it works for the Brits it may help you too

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

There was an interesting news item today about possible treatments...

It follows on something I saw a few weeks ago and posted about - the anti-malaria drug quinolone. Suddenly some "experts" must have seen the earlier reports and are now interested. It has tested well in some lab tests. If I were somewhere it was available and I were very sick, I would do everything possible to give it a try. If it didn't work, well...so far nothing else seems to work now, does it? I prefer to take my chances. It has proven safe in other uses so what's the harm except to me?

I already tried to get some here and it is selectively available, but requires a doctor's scrip... good luck finding one who might do that.

There are some reports from China about some possible treatments also, but I am not so trusting yet...

Yes there have been early reports from places like Viet Nam even a month ago.  It looks like various things are able to treat the virus in lieu of an outright vaccine.  Turmp just announced about the chloroquine malaria treatment being rushed through for use against this, which is at least something in the established medical system that is widely available.  

Imagine how much panic could be diffused if people knew there was a widely available cure.  Even though the virus would linger, but people would have less fear about it and be able to return to normal life I think.  Lets hope! 

• Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic