TIMELINE: Duterte against ABS-CBN’s franchise renewal

Jack D
Posted
Posted

-snip-

MANILA, Philippines – With the clock ticking before its franchise expiration on March 30, leading TV network ABS-CBN depends on at least 9 bills filed with Congress seeking a renewal.

ABS-CBN's television broadcast arm would have to cease operations if the renewal is not granted on time. However, they may still be able to operate by distributing its content onto other media platforms, such as online and through the company's publishing and movie production arms. 

Here’s what you need to know about the company’s years-long tussle with the government under President Rodrigo Duterte:

During the 2016 elections campaign period, ABS-CBN airs an advertisement showing clips of Duterte cursing, uttering a controversial rape remark, and saying he is ready to kill. Senator Antonio Trillanes IV paid for this ad.

Duterte calls ABS-CBN and newspaper Philippine Daily Inquirer “bastos (rude)” for allegedly reporting unfair news about him and writing in favor of the interests of the owners. He says that one day, “karma will come” to them.

He says the Inquirer is “bullshit” and that ABS-CBN “published trash.” Duterte calls the Prietos and Lopezes, the respective owners of the companies, “oligarchs and elites.”

-snip-

https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/249550-timeline-duterte-against-abs-cbn-franchise-renewal

I went ahead and signed the petition (below) because I'm watching this channel with TFC. It helps my wife feel less homesick, plus I'm becoming more and more fluent in Tagalog, since many TFC shows are shown with English subtitles.

https://www.change.org/p/abs-cbn-one-million-for-abs-cbn-s-franchise

• I'm Confused 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jack D said:

-snip-

MANILA, Philippines – With the clock ticking before its franchise expiration on March 30, leading TV network ABS-CBN depends on at least 9 bills filed with Congress seeking a renewal.

ABS-CBN's television broadcast arm would have to cease operations if the renewal is not granted on time. However, they may still be able to operate by distributing its content onto other media platforms, such as online and through the company's publishing and movie production arms. 

Here’s what you need to know about the company’s years-long tussle with the government under President Rodrigo Duterte:

During the 2016 elections campaign period, ABS-CBN airs an advertisement showing clips of Duterte cursing, uttering a controversial rape remark, and saying he is ready to kill. Senator Antonio Trillanes IV paid for this ad.

Duterte calls ABS-CBN and newspaper Philippine Daily Inquirer “bastos (rude)” for allegedly reporting unfair news about him and writing in favor of the interests of the owners. He says that one day, “karma will come” to them.

He says the Inquirer is “bullshit” and that ABS-CBN “published trash.” Duterte calls the Prietos and Lopezes, the respective owners of the companies, “oligarchs and elites.”

-snip-

https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/249550-timeline-duterte-against-abs-cbn-franchise-renewal

I went ahead and signed the petition (below) because I'm watching this channel with TFC. It helps my wife feel less homesick, plus I'm becoming more and more fluent in Tagalog, since many TFC shows are shown with English subtitles.

https://www.change.org/p/abs-cbn-one-million-for-abs-cbn-s-franchise

It's best to let the Filipinos work things out for themselves. Haven't you noticed that the Marcos billions have been rightfully returned to the coffers of the Government? Imelda is in jail, and the sons and daughters are no longer in politics? <sarc>:56da64a413b01_3_12_311:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

It's best to let the Filipinos work things out for themselves. Haven't you noticed that the Marcos billions have been rightfully returned to the coffers of the Government? Imelda is in jail, and the sons and daughters are no longer in politics? <sarc>:56da64a413b01_3_12_311:

You forgot to say that all the smoke belching jeepneys have now all been replaced with electric and solar powered versions too.....so much nicer since that changed.....

• Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Best keep a low profile.

Steer clear of politics in this country. 

Nothing we can do about it, and could get you deported...at the extreme end of things. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, graham59 said:

Best keep a low profile.

Nothing we can do about it, and could get you deported...at the extreme end of things. :thumbsup:

My apologies to you and all for not realizing that discussing a TV Network in the Philippines is a political topic. :SugarwareZ-037:

• Like 2
  • I'm Confused 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Jack D said:

My apologies to you and all for not realizing that discussing a TV Network in the Philippines is a political topic. :SugarwareZ-037:

Hmmm, senate bills, presidential criticism, signing a petition, and posting the petition link for others.  Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck . . . . it is probably a duck.  

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Hmmm, senate bills, presidential criticism, signing a petition, and posting the petition link for others.  Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck . . . . it is probably a duck.  

Please excuse my ignorance. 

• Like 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
On 1/21/2020 at 1:55 PM, Jack D said:

On 1/21/2020 at 2:35 PM, Mike J said:

He's not living in the Philippines so he has no reason to keep a low profile.  I didn't click on the petition as I just don't care.😂😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
On 1/21/2020 at 6:17 AM, graham59 said:

Best keep a low profile.

10 hours ago, Balisidar said:

He's not living in the Philippines so he has no reason to keep a low profile. 

Yes, I have no fears of being deported, since I no longer live in the Philippines, and I no longer have any fears about discussing politics.

Personally I found it extremely hard to call the Philippines my home when I had very few rights and I had to live in the shadows (a.k.a keeping a low profile).

However, if you're an Expat and you can feel at home in the Philippines, even though you have to keep your mouth shut, then I'm happy for you. :5795:

graham59
Posted
Posted

Thanks.

I feel much less 'oppressed' living here in the Philippines than I do when back home in the new wonderful PC, free and easy 'diverse' UK. :rolleyes:

Simple common sense and good manners to respect the ways of the country in which you are a voluntary guest though, eh. 

• Like 4
  • Love it 1