Wifi Speed On Laptop - Any Techies Got Some Ideas?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

So I reported to PLDT that my Fibr was slow.  It was testing 2-8 mbps on my laptop connected by Wifi.  Paying for 50.

After a couple of tries to fix it remotely, a couple of sub-contractors came out this morning to check.  The first thing they did was check the speed on their phone and it was fine.  I did the same.  One my laptop, still slow.  So they reset the modem / router, fiddled with router settings, checked a few laptop settings, still slow.  So I brought my wife's old laptop out and sat it next to mine, and connected the same as mine.  Speed was fine!

So I have a problem with my laptop.  Could it be that my wireless card is going bad?  Any ideas on what to check?

I will hook it up by hard wire next to see what happens like that.

Edited by OnMyWay

Jake
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I will hook it up by hard wire next to see what happens like that.

Looks like you performed all the troubleshooting, which points to that one item.  Did connecting a CAT5 cable  improve your speed?  Did you also remove and re-install the program controlling your wireless adapter?  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Jake said:

Looks like you performed all the troubleshooting, which points to that one item.  Did connecting a CAT5 cable  improve your speed?  Did you also remove and re-install the program controlling your wireless adapter?  

No time yet but will do later today.

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Are you using the power adapter with your laptop when testing the speed? If not, try that. If you are, check your "Power Options" in Control Panel. For a laptop, it should be set to "Balanced." or "Power Saver." Either way, click the "Change plan settings" link, and then click "Change advanced power settings." In the new pop-up window, scroll down to and expand "Wireless Adapter Settings," and then click the "Power Saving Mode" option. Change the setting to "Maximum Performance," and then see if that helps. With many laptops the the setting is set to one of the power saving options, which can make the connection a bit slower (especially if running on batteries.)

If that doesn't work, try deleting the wi-fi device in Device Manager (right-click device and then "uninstall device.") Then, click "Action" on the menu bar, and then select "Scan for hardware changes.) Windows should reinstall the wi-fi adapter. Alternatively, just reboot the machine after deleting the wi-fi adapter in Device Manager.

If that also doesn't work, right-click the device in Device Manger, and then select "Update driver." See if Windows can find an updated driver for the wi-fi adapter.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted (edited)

Oh, and if none of the above work, your wi-fi adapter may indeed be failing. If that's the case, just buy one of those small USB wi-fi adapters. You can get a pretty good one for P200 or P300 in most shops or on Lazada's site. They work well most of the time.Or, you may have one with a snap-on terminal that attaches to the motherboard (probably). If so, you can buy a replacement, but it will probably cost a lot more.

Edited by JeSsDaDdY
Missing words.
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, JeSsDaDdY said:

Are you using the power adapter with your laptop when testing the speed? If not, try that. If you are, check your "Power Options" in Control Panel. For a laptop, it should be set to "Balanced." or "Power Saver." Either way, click the "Change plan settings" link, and then click "Change advanced power settings." In the new pop-up window, scroll down to and expand "Wireless Adapter Settings," and then click the "Power Saving Mode" option. Change the setting to "Maximum Performance," and then see if that helps. With many laptops the the setting is set to one of the power saving options, which can make the connection a bit slower (especially if running on batteries.)

If that doesn't work, try deleting the wi-fi device in Device Manager (right-click device and then "uninstall device.") Then, click "Action" on the menu bar, and then select "Scan for hardware changes.) Windows should reinstall the wi-fi adapter. Alternatively, just reboot the machine after deleting the wi-fi adapter in Device Manager.

If that also doesn't work, right-click the device in Device Manger, and then select "Update driver." See if Windows can find an updated driver for the wi-fi adapter.

Hope this helps.

Actually I'm on the power cord all the time, but I will check the power saving settings.  Battery is toast.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, JeSsDaDdY said:

Oh, and if none of the above work, your wi-fi adapter may indeed be failing. If that's the case, just buy one of those small USB wi-fi adapters. You can get a pretty good one for P200 or P300 in most shops or on Lazada's site. They work well most of the time.Or, you may have one with a snap-on terminal that attaches to the motherboard (probably). If so, you can buy a replacement, but it will probably cost a lot more.

Good idea! I think I have a usb wifi adapter stuffed in a drawer someplace.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Easy to check this:

Search CMD on your laptop and open Command app (run as administrator)

enter the following exactly as written:

wmic diskdrive get status

It will tell you if your hard drive is failing.  That will cause everything on your laptop to slow down.  Not the end of the world, just replace the hard drive.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Easy to check this:

Search CMD on your laptop and open Command app (run as administrator)

enter the following exactly as written:

wmic diskdrive get status

It will tell you if your hard drive is failing.  That will cause everything on your laptop to slow down.  Not the end of the world, just replace the hard drive.

Says it is ok.  I have a 500 gb SSD.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Check your computer info screen to see what it shows for your available RAM. If you are not sure how to do this, I can guide you - not difficult at all... Perhaps your RAM is not adequate or not working properly?

For best results, you should have at least 4 gbytes RAM and better yet to have 8. You might also have processor speed issues. There are checks for that too that your system has available...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Hmm thinking 1