Wifi Speed On Laptop - Any Techies Got Some Ideas?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had a similar issue when a big windows update was being downloaded in the background, windows doesn't annouce that it's doing that and speed tests don't show it.

As the update gradually finishes the download speed drops and your tested speed starts to go back up.

Restarting doesn't help because it just starts downloading again (depending upon the update maybe from the start).

Can't say for sure but it sounds like it meets the symptoms you've described.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, earthdome said:

Have you checked for viruses and malware? Perhaps something was using a lot of bandwidth on your laptop that you weren't aware of. Thus limiting how much was available for other things. Is there a log of network stats?

I thought of that but did mot dig into it.  I have antivirus and malware software running. 

graham59
Posted
Posted

Was your street full of 'extra' people (with your password) viewing their phones and laptops ? :unsure:

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

So I reported to PLDT that my Fibr was slow.  It was testing 2-8 mbps on my laptop connected by Wifi.  Paying for 50.

After a couple of tries to fix it remotely, a couple of sub-contractors came out this morning to check.  The first thing they did was check the speed on their phone and it was fine.  I did the same.  One my laptop, still slow.  So they reset the modem / router, fiddled with router settings, checked a few laptop settings, still slow.  So I brought my wife's old laptop out and sat it next to mine, and connected the same as mine.  Speed was fine!

So I have a problem with my laptop.  Could it be that my wireless card is going bad?  Any ideas on what to check?

I will hook it up by hard wire next to see what happens like that.

I have the 50Mbps with PLDT also, I remember when the installers finished I checked my speed on my phone and it showed 5Mbps, the PLDT guy did it on his and it was 50, so I did it again on my phone and it was 50. What I think is that it's just very flaky, I've recorded very high upload numbers as well, I think it may be due to the fiber connection in SBMA. I'm not really happy with the performance, I watch hockey online, I have NHL live and it will start to get choppy and that's in the morning when there shouldn't be as much traffic, in the evening if I watch something on Amazon Prime it's terrible, I wish Amazon allowed users to download shows like Netflix does. Years ago I had 50mbps through Comcast cable and I could stream Netflix while my wife streamed her Tagalog shows in the bedroom and I never had a problem.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

could try and delete temp files, not sure how to do this but it can be done just google it. Or maybe your anti virus can do this, CCleaner can do this.

Heeb
Posted
Posted

Another thing you might want to check is whether you are using different frequency bands on your laptops, my PLDT router has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz like most do, your wife could be on 2.4 and you on 5 or vice versa. the 2.4 is slower but has better range, 5 is fast but it's best when your device is closer to the router.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Heeb said:

I have the 50Mbps with PLDT also, I remember when the installers finished I checked my speed on my phone and it showed 5Mbps, the PLDT guy did it on his and it was 50, so I did it again on my phone and it was 50. What I think is that it's just very flaky, I've recorded very high upload numbers as well, I think it may be due to the fiber connection in SBMA. I'm not really happy with the performance, I watch hockey online, I have NHL live and it will start to get choppy and that's in the morning when there shouldn't be as much traffic, in the evening if I watch something on Amazon Prime it's terrible, I wish Amazon allowed users to download shows like Netflix does. Years ago I had 50mbps through Comcast cable and I could stream Netflix while my wife streamed her Tagalog shows in the bedroom and I never had a problem.

I just tested on my laptop and phone, same server, same wifi connection.  Download / Upload:

Laptop:  43 / 219

Android phone: 106 / 242

~106 download is what I used to average on the laptop for the last year or two.

We watch a lot of cartoons on You Tube and rarely have a hang.  In fact, the testing I just did was while You Tube cartoons is on.

We watch streaming movies and My Family Cinema and it works great.

I can't get Amazon Prime to work anymore.  They recognize when I am using VPN so most content is blocked.

I will continue to monkey around with the laptop to see if I can get the speed up.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Just now, Heeb said:

Another thing you might want to check is whether you are using different frequency bands on your laptops, my PLDT router has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz like most do, your wife could be on 2.4 and you on 5 or vice versa. the 2.4 is slower but has better range, 5 is fast but it's best when your device is closer to the router.

I'm using the 5G on the laptop as it is close to the router.  We use the 2.4 in other parts of the house.

Heeb
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I can't get Amazon Prime to work anymore.  They recognize when I am using VPN so most content is blocked.

I will continue to monkey around with the laptop to see if I can get the speed up.

I don't have any problem with YouTube just the 4k stuff on Amazon, season 6 of "Vikings" is terrible. I initially had a problem with Amazon because it recognized me as in the Philippines, I had to switch from using the app to using their website, it was a popup suggestion from Amazon, they allow this but with limited content, I don't use a VPN because I've never had any luck with them, fortunately all of the shows I watch and movies have been available for Philippine users.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

We watch a lot of cartoons on You Tube and rarely have a hang.  In fact, the testing I just did was while You Tube cartoons is on.

I suspect there's a lot of traffic in my neighborhood, I would complain to PLDT but I just don't have the energy to deal with it.

• Like 1