Wifi Speed On Laptop - Any Techies Got Some Ideas?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 1/24/2020 at 1:30 PM, graham59 said:

Yes, I brought my 'spare' router from England to be used (as I used it there) for this purpose... sort of 'booster'/ 'extender'. 

I'm thinking perhaps I may need it in my new all-concrete extension, but hopefully not, as the windows of the present sala (with existing PLDT home fiber router next to the window),  and it,  are almost facing each other, and only a couple of yards distance between them. 

Another option for dead areas in your house is Powerline Adapters.  I have one similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV1000Mbps-Powerline-WiFi-Extender/dp/B0725LPTZR?ref_=Oct_DotdC_14eec_2_1e96dc17&pf_rd_p=911b5215-3d59-5eff-b57c-3abad8bf2c2e&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=1194444&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=ZCES4NG3VX2AYG3ZWK4C&pf_rd_r=ZCES4NG3VX2AYG3ZWK4C&pf_rd_p=911b5215-3d59-5eff-b57c-3abad8bf2c2e

You can find them in a few stores and on Lazada.  I use one in my master bedroom and it works great.  You wire one unit to your modem and plug it into a nearby wall outlet.  Then plug the wifi end into another outlet where your signal is bad.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Another option for dead areas in your house is Powerline Adapters.  I have one similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV1000Mbps-Powerline-WiFi-Extender/dp/B0725LPTZR?ref_=Oct_DotdC_14eec_2_1e96dc17&pf_rd_p=911b5215-3d59-5eff-b57c-3abad8bf2c2e&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=1194444&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=ZCES4NG3VX2AYG3ZWK4C&pf_rd_r=ZCES4NG3VX2AYG3ZWK4C&pf_rd_p=911b5215-3d59-5eff-b57c-3abad8bf2c2e

You can find them in a few stores and on Lazada.  I use one in my master bedroom and it works great.  You wire one unit to your modem and plug it into a nearby wall outlet.  Then plug the wifi end into another outlet where your signal is bad.

That sounds like google mesh.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

That sounds like google mesh.

No, mesh is newer and if it works as promised, better.  However, a lot more expensive.  I think you can get it with PLDT now.

"Powerline" sends the signal on your electrical wires.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I can't get into my router again.  I think one of the videos I saw showed how to disable a setting that allows a PLDT server to access the router, so I think I need to try changing that setting if I can get back in.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I can't get into my router again.  I think one of the videos I saw showed how to disable a setting that allows a PLDT server to access the router, so I think I need to try changing that setting if I can get back in.

So I was able to login with the super admin login, and the Web Admin was disabled.  So PLDT is remotely changing settings.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

So I was able to login with the super admin login, and the Web Admin was disabled.  So PLDT is remotely changing settings.

I found this video, mostly in English, on how to change the settings so that PLDT can't update your firmware or change your settings.

• Like 2