Austria vs. Australia vs. Germany

Heeb
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, gery0x said:

Holy s**t!!! :shock_40_anim_gif:

LOL that's ironic!

Huh, an HJ ("Hitler-Jugend")-guy teaching creationism in the US?! That's weird :huh:

Just out of curiosity, did his past have any effect on what was taught about WW2 and the Nazis?

If I got the story right it makes sense to me why your last name is Hübner! Is it really written with "ü" in your passport, or just with "u" or "ue"?

Must be quite confusing in an English speaking country... I can teach you how to pronounce it though!

I have a very good friend who is from Sweden too, he tells me the same haha! Welcome to the club :laugh:

I think he didn't have a choice when he was young but some of it must have rubbed off on him or maybe that's where the hatred comes from originally, the church. My dad traced our ancestry to a German man from Prussia who's name was Reinhardt Hübner, all immigrants to the U.S, had the umlaut dropped in their names because it was too confusing. 

Edited by Heeb
  • Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, gery0x said:

Just out of curiosity, did his past have any effect on what was taught about WW2 and the Nazis

To be honest I don't remember them teaching WWII history, I remember the civil war, revolutionary and even the Spanish American war being taught but I may have just forgotten, we had the show "World at War" on TV that my dad religiously watched for that I guess, anyone who remembers watching back then remembers the intro song probably and the opening scenes of the liberation of the Jews in the concentration camps.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Heeb said:

we had the show "World at War" on TV that my dad religiously watched for that I guess, anyone who remembers watching back then remembers the intro song probably and the opening scenes of the liberation of the Jews in the concentration camps.

A more recent series that I thought was very instructive was, "Band of Brothers," for the European theater and there was another similar one about the war in the Pacific - I forget the name of that one...

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

A more recent series that I thought was very instructive was, "Band of Brothers," for the European theater and there was another similar one about the war in the Pacific - I forget the name of that one...

I think I've seen them all, I just finished WWII in color on Netflix, it was pretty good

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Slightly off topic but I lived near Tacoma in Washington state USA for a while.  I was ordering some food at a fast food outlet and the server commented on my accent. He asked what accent it was and I replied "Scottish". He then said "cool man, have you ever been there"?

• Haha 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Slightly off topic but I lived near Tacoma in Washington state USA for a while.  I was ordering some food at a fast food outlet and the server commented on my accent. He asked what accent it was and I replied "Scottish". He then said "cool man, have you ever been there"?

Amazing!!!

earthdome
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

And some of Duterte's comments about how the Americans turned their backs on the Filipino insurgents and captured, tortured and murdered them are quite true... golly.... does any of this sound familiar in current times? Sorry... that's as political as I think I wish to venture here... sorry Forum...

I found it entertaining to watch the old filipino movies where they are fighting the US Calvary. Kind of like the old US westerns but in these the US were the bad guys.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Angry Midget is an educated, intelligent woman but within 10 minutes of starting to watch Treadstone on Amazon Prime I had to explain what the "cold war" was.  This lead to a discussion on the differences between the USSR and modern day Russia, The Iron Curtain and post-WWII European politics in general.  It could be generational as well I guess, she's only 37 so didn't "live it" as many of us did.  I have no doubt there's people of her age and younger all over the world that are exactly the same.  Could be geographical as well, she's very aware of China and the history behind the current situation. 

I often wonder how historical political thrillers gain any traction at all without any context for many in PI.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
On 1/23/2020 at 4:39 PM, Snowy79 said:

Reminds me of a visit I had to Edinburgh.  Buddy and I sought out the most 'authentic' looking Scottish pub we could find, to have a pint and enjoy perhaps something unique to eat.  We were all into it, waitress comes over and asks "Hi guys, what'll it be?"  She was Canadian!  Ruined the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

The Angry Midget is an educated, intelligent woman but within 10 minutes of starting to watch Treadstone on Amazon Prime I had to explain what the "cold war" was.  This lead to a discussion on the differences between the USSR and modern day Russia, The Iron Curtain and post-WWII European politics in general.  It could be generational as well I guess, she's only 37 so didn't "live it" as many of us did.  I have no doubt there's people of her age and younger all over the world that are exactly the same.  Could be geographical as well, she's very aware of China and the history behind the current situation. 

I often wonder how historical political thrillers gain any traction at all without any context for many in PI.  

Speaking for L, I think a lot of it has to do with action scenes in the movie. L is always asking about the cold war, WWII, nazis, POW camps, Iron Curtain also... She is older than AM, but just never was educated in history or geography outside of Philippines.

She was fascinated when I described walking through Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin and my descriptions to her of the Wall and all the guns, soldiers, dogs and on and on that were "protecting" communism in the dark old days...

• Like 1