Cockroaches

stevewool
Posted
Posted

How big can a cockroach get, I have seen a few small ones but the other day I was moving some blocks and old wood and loads of these things came pouring out and some was very big I would say over 2 inches long and a good inch wide and that’s just the body , and don’t they move quick too

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

How big can a cockroach get, I have seen a few small ones but the other day I was moving some blocks and old wood and loads of these things came pouring out and some was very big I would say over 2 inches long and a good inch wide and that’s just the body , and don’t they move quick too

So big they can pick you up and carry you away! Kidding... but that's about the biggest I have seen. But if you want to be gentile about it, refer to them as they do in Hawaii - palmetto bugs... And if you try to kill them, you need half a can of bug spray or a 5 pound sledge hammer - they are really tough critters.

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

My son gets freaked out when he sees the big ones. Don't see the smaller ones in the kitchen anymore since I baited them with borax powder. You will usually only see the big ones when they are dying. Had a really heavy rain once and the big ones were coming up through the drain pipes by the hundreds. :ohmy:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

So big they can pick you up and carry you away! Kidding... but that's about the biggest I have seen. But if you want to be gentile about it, refer to them as they do in Hawaii - palmetto bugs... And if you try to kill them, you need half a can of bug spray or a 5 pound sledge hammer - they are really tough critters.

Or water bugs. It's funny how the US called the small ones that infest kitchens German cockroaches. Might have had something to do with the wars that Germany kept insisting that it was the right thing to do!:wink:

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

We had them on board the yacht a few times. It was the big ones, mainly, that would fly out and land on the yacht. Easier to take care of than on land - we just made sure to cover the rubbish bin tightly, keep the sinks dry of fresh water and keep the kitchen area squeaky clean. Then we also put out cockroach hotels. Within a few days they were always gone.

I got in a bit of trouble one time because I had bought a rubber cockroach at a shop in Australia many years ago. So sometimes I would put him in places where he would be noticed... One time the wife spotted him on the cutting board and was about to bash him and throw him overboard.... "No!!!... That's Cocky! He's made of rubber...remember?" That incident was not a shining moment in my life - but it was a bit funny at the time (for a brief moment)...

Fortunately, there are no "cockies" here in the apartment. The main irritant is sugar ants with their nasty painful/itchy bites. But we keep them under control with baits and try to keep the cooking areas super clean. These efforts all seem to be paying off...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have my girls chase them down and catch them.

Croache.jpg

• Haha 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Fortunately, there are no "cockies" here in the apartment. The main irritant is sugar ants with their nasty painful/itchy bites. But we keep them under control with baits and try to keep the cooking areas super clean. These efforts all seem to be paying off...

I use sugar and borax in equal quantities, work great.

• Thanks 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

If there is no food they will go next door.  Applies to all 'pests'. 

We don't seem to get the larger cockroach species out here in the jungle...fortunately.

I did see plenty when I lived in Angeles and Manila though. City dwellers ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

gery0x
Posted
Posted

Baygon!!!!!

baygon.jpg

Bye, gone. :laugh:

I once had to open the septic tank underneath my lot for some reason and I've seen roaches there the size of my palm!!

I was like "close it again!!! close it!!!"

I hate those bastards and I do enjoy them melting and struggling in a good dose of Baygon! :Mad:

• Like 2
  • Love it 2
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Ask me to handle snakes, swim with sharks, skin and gut an animal... all good.

But cockroaches, there is something about them that just makes me shudder :sad:

• Like 3