Scaffolding

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Had to go shopping for 15 lengths 3x2x12 of coco wood and 3 kilos of nails as the builders are wanting this so they can make a scaffold to paint the house , well this coco wood is so out of shape and the 3 kilos of nails wrapped in a old newspaper looked just like old used Rivets hardly any had any head on to bash with the hammer, as we was ordering I asked if they do 4 inch screws I was going to ask for good quality ones but they don’t stock them anyway , I am wanting around 100 good screws but they seem hard to find ,even when you go to handyman and there packs most of the heads are either ground down or out of shape, Where’s  screwfix when you want them.

Its going to be interesting watching this scaffolding going up and I can assure you I will be standing at a safe distance away taking pictures .

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Steve, for your hardware needs of screws, nuts and bolts and the like, search for a store near you such as Screwtech.  They sell in bulk or by the piece.  Also have many hard to locate tools.  They do have 4" screws and longer.:tiphat:

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Steve, for your hardware needs of screws, nuts and bolts and the like, search for a store near you such as Screwtech.  They sell in bulk or by the piece.  Also have many hard to locate tools.  They do have 4" screws and longer.:tiphat:

We have a screw shop here in Olongapo call the The Screw Shop.  (No comments, Jake!)  I was curious to see if they might be a franchise so I googled them.  Apparently not.  They always have what I am looking for at a cheap price.

The google search map shows some places not far from Marikina:

Screenshot (45).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I asked if they do 4 inch screws I was going to ask for good quality ones but they don’t stock them anyway , I am wanting around 100 good screws but they seem hard to find

Geez, Steve... I am happy with just one or two screws... but 100?????:laugh: You are a better man than me!!!

• Haha 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

My local small hardware store is pretty good, as long as I take along a sample of the type of screw I want. Much better value than those small packs in the big chain DIY stores.

The guys (cement) plastering the walls of my new room have also built themselves a scaffold from coco-lumber...but lumber that I'd reclaimed from their earlier work on the concrete roof.  Amazing what they can quickly knock up with a few 6 inch nails and lengths of coco-lumber.  I will make something else from all of the plywood and lengths of timber too, once the main construction is finished.  Probably build an aviary. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I have seen that type of scaffold being used on three story buildings.  Guys up there with no ropes wearing shorts, flip flops, and a do rag for a helmet.  Makes me cringe.  But the scariest thing I have seen are those "hanging ladders" made from rebar that hang down from the top of tall buildings.  Saw them being used in Cebu City where they were painting a new high rise building.  The guys using them look like ants up there.   If you saw that in the USA , the Occupational Safety and Health Administration department would shut you down in a heartbeat, fine the hell out of the company, and probably put the corporate officers in prison.  I think here they are given a raise in pay for being innovative and saving money. :whistling:

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I have seen that type of scaffold being used on three story buildings.  Guys up there with no ropes wearing shorts, flip flops, and a do rag for a helmet.  Makes me cringe.  But the scariest thing I have seen are those "hanging ladders" made from rebar that hang down from the top of tall buildings.  Saw them being used in Cebu City where they were painting a new high rise building.  The guys using them look like ants up there.   If you saw that in the USA , the Occupational Safety and Health Administration department would shut you down in a heartbeat, fine the hell out of the company, and probably put the corporate officers in prison.  I think here they are given a raise in pay for being innovative and saving money. :whistling:

Our firewall is 50 ft tall and they guys doing the job used bamboo and tie wire. Cheaper than coco lumber and nails :thumbsup:.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Our firewall is 50 ft tall and they guys doing the job used bamboo and tie wire. Cheaper than coco lumber and nails :thumbsup:.

I have not seen bamboo for sale here other then the so called garden supplies , I am hoping to get a few lengths for some sort of feature design .

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I have not seen bamboo for sale here other then the so called garden supplies , I am hoping to get a few lengths for some sort of feature design .

I live in the jungle and bamboo grows here in abundance.

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yep, I'm in the jungle too, and if you want things doing right (and safe !) ... do it yourself.  Here's one I made last week:  :thumbsup:

The plasterers' home-made (by them) scaffold is in the background.

Oh, and there's my personal stand of 4" thick x 35 feet long bamboo.  Very handy. :smile:

DSCN8493.JPG

DSCN8494.JPG

• Like 2