Pilot Training

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

She looks very happy :)

What are they using for ab initio flight training? 

Cessna 172?  Piper Warrior?  Something else?

NB I realize that's a simulator screen in the background... I was just curious what they progressed to after that.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Katy had her first lesson at APG flying school,  at Subic Bay airport.

20200124_111552.jpg

Off topic but reference photos.  I had trouble for years with my photos appearing rotated when inserting but they were straight/correct before hand.  When I tried to rotate it back one before inserting it was still wrong.  Then by chance, I had the photo on my desktop and rotated 4 times back to the original upright position and then inserted it.  That was the answer.  I don't know why but it works for me every time now. 

20200124_111552.thumb.jpg.7fd6530ffc5530bb74445b93e42d5d36.jpg

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 3
  • Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Hope she makes it. Can't be an easy thing to do.:smile:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, GeoffH said:

She looks very happy :)

What are they using for ab initio flight training? 

Cessna 172?  Piper Warrior?  Something else?

NB I realize that's a simulator screen in the background... I was just curious what they progressed to after that.

They had about 5 single engine and one twin engine on hand when we were there, with a few other in the back getting maintenance or repairs.  I grabbed this from their web site:

To date, we have 15 aircrafts ready for flight training: Three Cesna 150, six Cessna 152, three Cesna 172, one Piper Seneca, one Piper Aztec as well as one Beechcraft Baron.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Hope she makes it. Can't be an easy thing to do.:smile:

She is only 5 so she has a lot of time to practice.  She wants to be a obgyn and a pilot.

Actually I chatted with my neighbor and his 17 year old daughter is starting to get serious about a career as a pilot.  He told me that PAL has a program where after you get 2 years of college, you can enter their program and they will train you, while also paying for more college.  There is a huge shortage of pilots in the world so I guess some airlines are getting creative.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, intrepid said:

Off topic but reference photos.  I had trouble for years with my photos appearing rotated when inserting but they were straight/correct before hand.  When I tried to rotate it back one before inserting it was still wrong.  Then by chance, I had the photo on my desktop and rotated 4 times back to the original upright position and then inserted it.  That was the answer.  I don't know why but it works for me every time now. 

I only have the problem on my phone when uploading photos right after taking them.  Like you, I could not find a way to make them right.  So usually when I get home I will edit the post on my laptop, as I did just now.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

She wants to be a obgyn and a pilot.

Obgyn on call. Just kidding but she would make a good bush pilot where regular doctors aren't available.:wave:

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

SHe told me that PAL has a program where after you get 2 years of college, you can enter their program and they will train you, while also paying for more college.  There is a huge shortage of pilots in the world so I guess some airlines are getting creative.

One of the Chinese airlines (I forget which one) bought an entire Australian regional airport after the regional carrier stopped doing regualar sevices there and set up their own flying training school there just for their own pilots.  I no longer fly but a good friend of mine does and he's been saying for a while that airlines running their own training facilities and programs is much much more common than it used to be because they get the pilots at the end instead of ending up competing against other airlines for the best ones.

A bit like if PAL had bought the Ozamiz airport in the gap between when PAL and Cebu Pacific stopped flying there and a few years later (after the airport was upgraded) and they started flying there again.  The locals weren't terribly happy because they've now got no public airport facility and general aviation is very restricted there now.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

How many years before commercial planes will be pilot less? 

• Like 1