Pilot Training

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

How many years before commercial planes will be pilot less? 

Apparently quite a few according to recent stats on pilot shortages.

https://www.boeing.com/commercial/market/pilot-technician-outlook/

I'm watching the movie Ad Astra and they still have pilots for the rockets in the future, so that is proof.  :smile:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

How many years before commercial planes will be pilot less? 

The technology is almost there now but regulations will slow things down.

Pilots are already doing much less actual flying on commercial planes than they did even 20 years ago and I expect that trend to continue.

I suspect we'll end up with the pilots remaining but becoming an emergency backup to the automation...

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm just looking at it from the current drones we have.  Guys and girls sitting in bunkers in the Nevada dessert flying some serious technology thousands of miles away with pin point accuracy.  I remember even a few years back about prototype fighter planes flying remotely and doing turns at high speeds which would cause a pilot to lose consciousness. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm just looking at it from the current drones we have.  Guys and girls sitting in bunkers in the Nevada dessert flying some serious technology thousands of miles away with pin point accuracy.  I remember even a few years back about prototype fighter planes flying remotely and doing turns at high speeds which would cause a pilot to lose consciousness. 

Yes, you are right, but passengers want someone there to tell them everything is ok.  And maybe fly the plane in emergency conditions.  I don't know if computers can do that.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, you are right, but passengers want someone there to tell them everything is ok.  And maybe fly the plane in emergency conditions.  I don't know if computers can do that.

Computers have been proven to be safer than human pilots already.  Most accidents are actual human error and as has been highlighted most flying is dome automatically now by the plane computers.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Computers have been proven to be safer than human pilots already.  Most accidents are actual human error and as has been highlighted most flying is dome automatically now by the plane computers.  

Yes again, but that does take care of the human factor of the passengers.

Here is another example.  What if there is an emergency involving a lot of snakes?  Do you think a computer can handle that?  That sh*t is real!

A computer could not have done this landing!

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike J said:

The plane for future commercial planes is to just have a single pilot plus guard dog in the cockpit.  The dog is trained to bite the  pilot or anyone else who tries to touch the controls.  The pilot, there because of union contract, feeds the dog and cleans up the dog $hit on long flights. :hystery:

Many a true word is spoken in jest. 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes again, but that does take care of the human factor of the passengers.

Here is another example.  What if there is an emergency involving a lot of snakes?  Do you think a computer can handle that?  That sh*t is real!

A computer could not have done this landing!

That'll be the job of the gay robot air steward. :whistling:

• Haha 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 1/25/2020 at 8:15 AM, Snowy79 said:

What about the Boeing 737Max??

• Like 1