Car Servicing - Franchises

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

A new car servicing franchise has started in town, with six bays for servicing, a brand new showroom complete with reception area and even has started advertising on the local television station.

From my experience in Australia all of this has to be paid by someone, and my guess is that it is the customer, so I got the gf to take the Mazda 3 in for a quote to get some repairs done to the front end, because there is a lot of rattles coming from there and I just know that both the front shock absorbers are shot.

So back came the quote for supply and fit the different components totalling 60,000php, which included both front shockies, but knowing the shockies need replacing I got a friend to pick me up a set in a nearby city and the bill came to 9000php for the pair, and reading the quote from this franchise they quoted 8,120php each, so the quick math comes out to 16,240php nearly double the price and 1,400php to fit each one, the mechanic must double up as a brain surgeon on his off time at this price.

They are taking the piss.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just for reference I bought 6 (six) shock absorbers for my owner type Jeep from the local hole in the wall auto supplies shop and fitted them myself for under 7500p.

So several trips to the auto store to give them the parts to match it physically then took me an hour to go get a new tool as the front nuts were different sizes, an hour to get the main rear one rear one off, and about an hour to work out how to get it back on, after that it was 15 minutes each to remove/replace.

Edited by AusExpat

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 1/25/2020 at 2:21 PM, Onemore52 said:

A new car servicing franchise has started in town, with six bays for servicing, a brand new showroom complete with reception area and even has started advertising on the local television station.

From my experience in Australia all of this has to be paid by someone, and my guess is that it is the customer, so I got the gf to take the Mazda 3 in for a quote to get some repairs done to the front end, because there is a lot of rattles coming from there and I just know that both the front shock absorbers are shot.

So back came the quote for supply and fit the different components totalling 60,000php, which included both front shockies, but knowing the shockies need replacing I got a friend to pick me up a set in a nearby city and the bill came to 9000php for the pair, and reading the quote from this franchise they quoted 8,120php each, so the quick math comes out to 16,240php nearly double the price and 1,400php to fit each one, the mechanic must double up as a brain surgeon on his off time at this price.

They are taking the piss.

Hence the popular Filipino saying canvasing......

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I neglected to update this, by saying that the mechanic from the factory changed out both front shockies for 2500 php, whilst it took him 15 minutes for each.