In-Transit Areas of Asian Airports

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

So lets assume my gf and he son have a visa to come to Canada with me.  When and if that happens I will be looking to buy a low cost ticket from Cebu to Canada.  I have had a look online and most of the cheap flights have connections (plane change) in either Hong Kong, Taiwan, ICN, or Narita.

I know that Hong Kong has given me no problem in the past.  Land, stay in the secure area, no visa required for a filipina, get on the next plane and go.  But Hong Kong is not my first choice.  Who has had experience changing planes in Taiwan, Korea, or Japan?  Is there any transit visa required for a Filipina before she can board the plane?

The only country I know of that requires the transit visa is USA but if there is one country, there are probably others.  Anyone?

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Good question... but to avoid any issue... why not just fly with PAL.... book Cebu to Vancouver with the non-stop from Manila to Vancouver... prices aren't as bad as you think.... and be sure to check baggage costs when comparing... i.e. cheap ticket with $100 in baggage or a 24 hr layover may not be as cheap as it might look.  

• Like 2

Jack D
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Who has had experience changing planes in Taiwan, Korea, or Japan?  Is there any transit visa required for a Filipina before she can board the plane?

There's a transit area at Narita International Airport in Japan with no visa requirements. My wife and I have both gone through there on our trips from the Philippines to the USA. There's no checks for passports or visas.

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Joey G said:

but to avoid any issue... why not just fly with PAL.... book Cebu to Vancouver with the non-stop from Manila to Vancouver... prices aren't as bad as you think

My research shows the the best price price that way is approximately 10K pesos per perso (x3) higher than the routes I am looking at.  In addition, the total travel time is at least 6 hours longer that way than some of the best low-priced flights I am lookin at.

But each to their own, I have flown the way you suggested when travelling on my own and that route works.

Now back to my question.  Jack D says Narita has a great in-transit area.  That is one of my first choices but the final decision will involve price when I go to book, so, does anyone know for sure are Taiwan and Korea the same?  (I have transited via Korea in the past but I did not check to see if filipinas had any problems transiting there)

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

does anyone know for sure are Taiwan and Korea the same?

No problems for us transiting Inchon to US 3 years ago.  Because of a long layover (7 hours?), we booked a room in the transit hotel on the way there.  No visa required for my wife and daughter travelling on Filipino passports.   The airfare on Asiana was good back then.  Last time I looked, it was quite a bit higher.

In Korea, if you make arrangements, I think you can even go out of the airport for a city tour.  If you have a long layover.  The airline can arrange it.

I'm thinking about booking a trip to Europe and a bit worried about the Corona virus.  Might not be a good time to travel.

• Thanks 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

For Taiwan

My wife niece just took the whole family on vacation to Taiwan without any visas last month... website also says:

Yes, Philippine citizens can visit Taiwan from another country other using visa-free entry program as long as they hold a confirmed return/onward plane or boat ticket together with an ordinary/regular passport with remaining validity of at least six months, and the confirmation of hotel reservations or an address and contact details for their stay in Taiwan.

https://www.roc-taiwan.org/ph_en/post/2950.html

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Thanks all.

That answers my questions.  I no longer have any doubts about booking the best value I can get.  I will probably book my flight next month.  I hope all the specials I see today are still on.

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Just want to add, some flight itineraries through Japan require changing airports via an airport bus.  So they must have a visa mechanism to allow that.  

• Thanks 1