Hardiflex

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have some pieces of hardiflex and I would like to cover some small spaces under a outside balcony , no water will get to it but I don’t want to use a metal frame to fix it, it’s just to small a space around 7 inches by about 5 foot, do you think I could use a clear silicon to hold this in place for ever or could you recommend something other .

Gary D
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I have some pieces of hardiflex and I would like to cover some small spaces under a outside balcony , no water will get to it but I don’t want to use a metal frame to fix it, it’s just to small a space around 7 inches by about 5 foot, do you think I could use a clear silicon to hold this in place for ever or could you recommend something other .

Hardiflex is pretty heavy for its size, not sure it would hold for long and the surface is a bit powdery.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Hardiflex is pretty heavy for its size, not sure it would hold for long and the surface is a bit powdery.

Did not think of that, I wonder if marine ply may be better or glue some carboard up there and paint it white.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Did not think of that, I wonder if marine ply may be better or glue some carboard up there and paint it white.

Marine ply should work. I'd paint it first.  Can you nail or screw it in place rather than glueing?

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

I would suggest that if you use marine ply, you might consider to coat it with a few layers of 2-part epoxy before installing and painting. Make sure to coat the edges well so they will not permit insects. There is a particular marine ply brand that I cannot remember, but L tells me it is a superior quality and very expensive, but worth it... Santa Rosa? or something like that?

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Marine ply should work. I'd paint it first.  Can you nail or screw it in place rather than glueing?

I would use shelf brackets, just bend them so the marine ply runs down like a roof .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

Styrofoam, thin aluminium or plastic hardboard and silicon / duct tape might another option. 

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

If you can find some 3M 5200 marine adhesive I guarantee it will hold anything once cured... google it... get the fast cure.

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Joey G said:

If you can find some 3M 5200 marine adhesive I guarantee it will hold anything once cured... google it... get the fast cure.

My issue with glueing panels in place isn't if they hold or not (most times a glued panel is actually stronger) but rather with what do you do if later it is damaged or needs replacing, It can become a big job to remove to repair or replace then.

Did I mention I hate glued in passenger vehicle windows?  :hystery:

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yeah, and hit the panel with a hammer, and half the damned building is likely to come down with it, here in the Phils. :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

• Haha 1