38 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Small Dog Syndrome, perhaps?

The proper term is "ankle biter"!  :smile:

• Haha 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
On 2/1/2020 at 7:04 AM, Tommy T. said:

Seriously still, OMW... It did take a bit of work to convince him that I was the boss...

I have an uncle who adopted one of those 'abused animals' from a rescue program.  Can't remember the breed, but he was big, aggressive, and trained like a drug dog.  Terrible behavior, and used to being the Alpha.  For my uncle to assert his Alpha status over the dog he had to keep it on a thick chain that was only 1-foot long.  He would man-handle that dog every where they went.  Force it to sit, whack it hard when it bit him, drag it around when it didn't want to go, etc.  It took a lot of doing.  Nowadays that dog is a beloved pet, as gentle with the family as you can imagine.  Doesn't bark unless it needs to.  Remembers your scent even if you haven't seen him in two years.  God help you if you are a stranger though!  He's protective. 

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
On 1/30/2020 at 5:38 AM, scott h said:

cats are viewed as a nuisance. newborn kittens are routinely thrown out with the trash or just into the street. (I have a soft spot for kitten and have 6 rescues, below is one)

We have 30+. It began with taking in two females from my s-i-l because she couldn't afford them. Being a Kano, I had no experience with unspayed/unneutered animals. I've had plenty of dogs and cats but all adopted from shelters after their mandatory "fixing". Now I know that cats can begin breeding at just 4 months of age and that Toms are relentless and resourceful "lovers". I also now know that local vets will not or simply cannot spay/neuter at a younger age than 4 months as is done in the US. We're trying to cope but there's an awful lot of stress on us and the budget.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Toms are relentless and resourceful "lovers".

L tells me this all the time...:dance:

JD... you can't seriously think I could let this pass?:hystery:

• Haha 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

JD... you can't seriously think I could let this pass?:hystery:

I hope L doesn't make you climb over walls and under gates, my friend. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Only if she is a bit upset perhaps?:rolleyes:

Good thing I am still relatively thin and flexible, but the gates can be challenging - especially if they are closed!

I wish you luck with your collection of animals there. I admire your dedication but, for myself, will only manage one big guard-type dog and L's little mischievous mutt.

A bit off topic (as usual) but I could not resist. I used to have a dog like this adorable gentle giant:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/animals/watch-this-huge-newfies-irresistible-“beg-face”/vi-BBZrIhh

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, JDDavao said:

I also now know that local vets will not or simply cannot spay/neuter at a younger age than 4 months as is done in the US

We had two female kittens spayed several months ago.  I can't remember the exact age but I am almost sure it was less than 4 months.  This was in Moalboal, but the vets come from Cebu to do any surgery once a week.

• Like 1

Mick
Posted
Posted

We have just been adopted by a kitten, found at the side of a bin with several dead ones. Not sure how old, but we will take it to vet and get it newted. 

IMG_20200129_095844.jpg

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

These must be quite handy for cat lovers:  :smile:

dae059862d448621a15eccbaf2cd2742.jpg

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

:hystery:

That's awful.  But hilarious!  "It's the Carry-Matic, by Ronco!  Only $16.99 if you call in now!"

• Like 2