New employees - working hours.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Yesterday 4 new employees arrived on site, they were recruited from another province, where it seems their working hours and conditions were not explained to them in detail.

When we explained to them that they would be working from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with a coffee break in the morning, an hour off for lunch then another coffee break in the afternoon.

What they demanded for their hours was as follows::-

4 workers divided into 2 teams, working in 2 shifts, the first 2 workers doing the morning shift from 8 a.m. till midday with a half hour break in the morning for coffee, and the second 2 people doing the afternoon shift with a half hour break for coffee.

But there is more to this, the team doing the afternoon shift gets 1 hours overtime pay if we want them to work till 5 p.m.

I promise, I did not make this up.

By the way, they were shown to the gate and told not to come back.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 3

TimL
Posted
Posted

I would have sent them packing also. They are wrong on so many levels. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

What is the nature of the work? Just curious...

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Wrapping noodles after they come out of the oven, after they have cooled, which has to be done straight away otherwise moisture will set in and they would go mouldy.

Not a hard job, not the same as me asking around the town if any male wants a gardening job, mowing the lawn, using a brushcutter on the weeds, pay being 400php a day with meals thrown in, hours 8 a.m. till 4 p.m. with an hour off for lunch, even not everyday day of the week, just casual.

No takers on that job either.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

But there is more to this, the team doing the afternoon shift gets 1 hours overtime pay if we want them to work till 5 p.m.

They sound like they contacted a union for their contract in Detroit? Maybe they don't realize that they are still in the Philippines?

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

The funny thing about it was, that they were serious. I asked my partner to inquire to them if they would like breakfast in bed as well, but she declined.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I guess we'd need to know the rate you were offering before we can really judge?

• I'm Confused 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I guess we'd need to know the rate you were offering before we can really judge?

When I said in the post that I was offering 400php a day, is that the same as me saying that I was offering?

• Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

When I said in the post that I was offering 400php a day, is that the same as me saying that I was offering?

Your offer sounds fair for unskilled labour and with the meals included... A bit on the low side, but still fair relative to the market that I have seen here so far... And it sounds like easy work compared to so many jobs around here...

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

But if you are talking about the 4 new hires and what we were offering them, that is a mute point, because once employees start dictating to the employer about what hours they will work, then we have lost already, and we didn't even get to that stage of the bargaining, but no doubt they would wanted the same wage as working a full 8 hour day.

The reason being is that we would have had to change our production to meet their demands and that ain't going to happen, we would have had to slow the production down because the product would not have been wrapped, then there wouldn't be the fresh stock to deliver to our customers every day, let me say that again "fresh stock" not having any mould or not being fresh because we did not have the people to wrap the product.

Then no stock, means no sales, and no sales means we close the doors and forty other WILLING WORKERS would be out of a job.

• Like 3