New employees - working hours.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Ahhh... just so I understand... They were expecting P400/ day each for only half day work per employee? Sorry if I appear a bit dense, but I just wanted to be sure of what you said...thanks!

Onemore52
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Your offer sounds fair for unskilled labour and with the meals included... A bit on the low side, but still fair relative to the market that I have seen here so far... And it sounds like easy work compared to so many jobs around here...

But that is once again where I lost, that instead of working for 8 hours, and as you say not hard work, men here can make half that or bit more for argument sake driving a tricycle for 8 hours, of course they have to pay for the tricycle, fuel and the maintenance, the licences, whereas I pay for everything.

Edited by Onemore52
spelling

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Ahhh... just so I understand... They were expecting P400/ day each for only half day work per employee? Sorry if I appear a bit dense, but I just wanted to be sure of what you said...thanks!

Not a problem Tommy T, even I get lost in dealing with people here.

• Haha 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

So with the gardening situation I just came back from talking to the owner of the hardware store who I have been dealing with for the last 12 months, and dealing with him alone, and when I buy something from him I always round it off to the nearest thousand, he is a good person and I know he is not overcharging me.

When I explained that I was needing some help in shovelling some soil, he said that seeing I was buying 4 cubic meters from him, he will get his men to shovel it for me when they deliver it.. as things are quiet and he hasn't much work for them at the moment anyway.

My partner always give his men something to eat and drink when they deliver anything to us, so some kindness goes a long way.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I honestly have difficulty seeing how the average Filipino/a can live here sometimes. Prices for many things are very high compared to USA - meats (except pork - which may now be contaminated with ASF), fish, hardware. Vegetables are often reasonable, but can be dodgy quality if one is not careful.

It seems to be a vicious circle - low pay, minimal work effort means continued low pay and continued minimal work effort. However I see super quality in the workers at S & R. I don't know their pay, but they seem to work hard and efficiently there. And I see this at some other places I go and appreciate it. I just hope this will be a trend for them.

L tells me about new teachers who tend to be lazy. But then, the rules and expectations of DepEd are convoluted and crazy and ridiculous. Teachers spend more time and effort on filling out silly paper work and little time actually teaching kids. There is little to no reward for doing a better job or just being efficient...

Sorry... this became a rant off topic... but I am glad I voiced it...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

When I said in the post that I was offering 400php a day, is that the same as me saying that I was offering?

Did you say that in the post? :89:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

When I explained that I was needing some help in shovelling some soil, he said that seeing I was buying 4 cubic meters from him, he will get his men to shovel it for me when they deliver it.. as things are quiet and he hasn't much work for them at the moment anyway.

Yeah... I see this happening sometimes and it is heartwarming. L and I often try to bring treats (and Tanduay) for the boys building our home. Sure, they get paid, but appreciation and a bit extra go a long way and we see that as the right thing to do.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

But if you are talking about the 4 new hires and what we were offering them, that is a mute point, because once employees start dictating to the employer about what hours they will work, then we have lost already, and we didn't even get to that stage of the bargaining, but no doubt they would wanted the same wage as working a full 8 hour day.

The reason being is that we would have had to change our production to meet their demands and that ain't going to happen, we would have had to slow the production down because the product would not have been wrapped, then there wouldn't be the fresh stock to deliver to our customers every day, let me say that again "fresh stock" not having any mould or not being fresh because we did not have the people to wrap the product.

Then no stock, means no sales, and no sales means we close the doors and forty other WILLING WORKERS would be out of a job.

I don't see how the relationship between salary and working hours can ever be called a mute point. Maybe you were offering a half-day's pay for a full day's work - you didn't mention any number in your OP? In any event, prospective employees are perfectly entitled to state their requirements and employers are just as entitled to reject them as you did.

I agree that on the face of it they were taking the piss. 

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Pay more and you'll get better workers. We tried paying 550 per day in Manila for my wifes business, got a load of idiots. Now we pay 750 and they work non stop.
If you're only paying 400 then all the decent workers in the area will go & work in Manila for 550+.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

Did you say that in the post? :89:

Yes he did

One must read.