Expat motorcycle financing?

Viking
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Ninpo2dan said:

I'll be moving to Binangonan, but I'll be staying at a condo in QC until the first of Mar. That will give me almost 3 weeks to get moved into an apartment. My friends have gone and taken vids/pics of a few places, but no offense to them, I would rather inspect the apartment myself first. I plan to be living cheap and simple, but I need to know the place will fit a queen size mattress and has good enough water pressure for a shower heater. I just used AirBnB to find the condo.

My sister in law live in Binangonan, we are going to stay in Taytay so will almost be neighbours :tiphat:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Another consideration is a driving licence. As a tourist you can't qualify for one and the LTO is going computerised so no more brown envelopes.

True but you can drive for 3 months legally on an oversease license. 

Many people drive longer than that on an overseas license but if there was an accident it might have consequences other than just the accident.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

True but you can drive for 3 months legally on an oversease license. 

Many people drive longer than that on an overseas license but if there was an accident it might have consequences other than just the accident.

If you are caught using your foreign license  beyond the three months - by getting a ticket or just inspection - they consider that you are driving without a license and fine you - I forget how much, but not a lot. They also suspend your foreign license driving privileges for one year but you keep your license in your possession. I know...it happened to me two years ago...

I forgot to mention that, when I went to pay for an "obstruction" ticket at LTO, they requested to see my passport to check my latest entry date. When they saw it was about three months beyond the permitted three months, then the second ticket came out. 

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 2

Ninpo2dan
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, gbmmbg said:

Hi, you might want to check on your student loan repayment status. I thought you have to be 100% P&T or IU "individual unemployability" to get student loan discharge. If you plan on living close to manila you can use the va clinic for you service connected disabilities. Welcome to the forum and hope your move goes well. Greg

That is mostly correct. With 100% you get total loan forgiveness, and I'm only at 50% right now. But I have already been declared unable to work, and currently waiting to speak with a judge to finalize everything. I'm #101,000 in line, so probably going to be about a year. Until then, the loan company has me on $0 payments due to my status. Every year I have to refile, but they will keep my payments at $0 until the VA finishes my rating increase.

3 hours ago, Gary D said:

Another consideration is a driving licence. As a tourist you can't qualify for one and the LTO is going computerised so no more brown envelopes.

This is something I wasn't aware of. I have several friends living there, on tourist visas, and they were able to get PI driver license. They just needed to show their "long-stay visitor visa extension".

Gary D
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Ninpo2dan said:

That is mostly correct. With 100% you get total loan forgiveness, and I'm only at 50% right now. But I have already been declared unable to work, and currently waiting to speak with a judge to finalize everything. I'm #101,000 in line, so probably going to be about a year. Until then, the loan company has me on $0 payments due to my status. Every year I have to refile, but they will keep my payments at $0 until the VA finishes my rating increase.

This is something I wasn't aware of. I have several friends living there, on tourist visas, and they were able to get PI driver license. They just needed to show their "long-stay visitor visa extension".

Yes it changed a year or two ago. It is still possible to obtain a license under the table some places but many have refused. You need to be in the Philippines for one month and show 12 months visa, ie a resident visa. Once they are computerized under table will stop.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

If you are caught by getting a ticket or just inspection, they consider that you are driving without a license and fine you - I forget how much, but not a lot. They also suspend your foreign license driving privileges for one year but you keep your license in your possession. I know...it happened to me two years ago...

I always suspected that Tommy was a bit of an outlaw. :whistling:

• Haha 1

Ninpo2dan
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Yes it changed a year or two ago. It is still possible to obtain a license under the table some places but many have refused. You need to be in the Philippines for one month and show 12 months visa, ie a resident visa. Once they are computerized under table will stop.

According to the LTO website, requirement is only a 6-month visa. LSVVE should still be available for 6 month extensions. I'm gathering this information from their websites: LTO, BI, etc.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Ninpo2dan said:

According to the LTO website, requirement is only a 6-month visa. LSVVE should still be available for 6 month extensions. I'm gathering this information from their websites: LTO, BI, etc.

Perhaps things changed, or the website is not correct? About a year and a half or two years ago, I went to the LTO office with my six month visa extension and was denied. The not-quite-so-nice man told me twelve months was the requirement... Just my experience... Things went swimmingly once I had my SRRV.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ninpo2dan said:

According to the LTO website

Few things on Philippine websites are 100% accurate.  But for updated info check Facebook.  Send them a message if you like.  Facebook is the Philippine Government Bible

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted

Cool, the LTO website has changed:

• NEW DRIVER'S/CONDUCTOR'S LICENSE
  • CONVERSION OF VALID/EXPIRED FOREIGN DRIVER'S LICENSE TO NON-PROFESSIONAL OR PROFESSIONAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
  • RENEWAL OF NON EXPIRED/EXPIRED DRIVER'S LICENSE
  • RENEWAL OF DRIVER'S LICENSE FOR MORE THAN TWO (2) YEARS BUT LESS THAN TEN (10) YEARS
  • CHANGE CLASSIFICATION FROM NPDL TO PDL
  • ADDITIONAL RESTRICTION CODES AND ALL TRANSACTIONS THAT REQUIRE EXAMINATION

WHO MAY AVAIL

General Qualifications
1. Must be physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle / to work as conductor
2. Must be able to read and write Filipino and English
3. Must have passed the written and/or practical examination
*For new Driver's License (DL), conversion of foreign DL to Philippine DL (expired foreign DL to NPDL, valid/expired foreign DL to PDL), change classification from NPDL TO PDL, renewal of expired DL (more than two (2) years but less than ten (10) years)
*For new and renewal of expired conductor's license (more than two (2) years but less than ten(10) years) : must have passed the written examination
*For additional restriction code 1 (RC1) : must have passed the practical examination
*For change classification from expired PDL to NPDL: must passed the practical driving examination
4. In addition, for foreigner, the applicant must have been in the Philippines for at least one (1) month and will stay in the country for at least six (6) months from date of application

• Like 2